X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions Episode 92: 70s Variety Shows

All loyal listeners of Pod Stallions know we live by the ‘variety is the spice of life’ philosophy, so we thought it was time we celebrated that. In this episode, we welcome producer/clip expert Steve Kozak to our third chair, and we discuss the “variety special” trends of the 70s & 80s, and deep dive […]
    The post Pod Stallions Episode 92: 70s Variety Shows appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Definitely will have this one going tomorrow. Great topic.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

Listening to this has prompted me to wonder if any earlier seventies specials did bits with Planet of the Apes. Does anyone recall any skits or appearances in segments?

The fall of 1977, both ABC and CBS managed to feature Darth Vader in their Saturday Morning Preview Specials. I've always been sorry NBC didn't manage to give him the Triple Crown that year.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

There's at least one.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ More can be found here:

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I have to question anyone NOT wanting to meet Lynda Carter (who actually is a pretty good singer, by the way), but I definitely enjoyed the discussion. The variety show is something you just had to grow up with to understand. I have shown my kids just about every kind of show and movie I experienced as a kid, and they have taken almost all of them in stride. But the variety show is just a bridge too far. And honestly, I can't really watch them now either. I just feel...cringey watching them, and it kind of makes me sad to feel that way. There are exceptions, like most Holiday specials I can sit through and enjoy. And of course, The Muppets. But the standard variety show just makes me squirmy nowadays.

Can't wait to see the doc on the Star Wars Holiday Special! I don't think it's the most horrible thing ever made...but it's actually pretty bad, in my opinion, for exactly trying to be too many things to too many people, as you pointed out.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
              Thank you and Palitoy above.
              Hugh H. Davis

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎