X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Dried bananas vs. banana chips

Since Mikey makes so many food posts, I figured I'd make one, too.
    Do you like banana chips? Do you like dried bananas? I love dried bananas and make them all the time. I also hate banana chips. I used to think they were the same thing. My grandma used to make dried bananas and I loved them. Bought some banana chips and thought they were disgusting. I couldn't figure out why they tasted so gross. Now I know why. Banana chips are not dried bananas like I thought they were. They are deep fried in oil and that makes them taste really bad.
    I love bananas when they are still slightly green. When they start getting spots and are getting ripe, I think they taste bad and are inedible. But then you dry them and the flavor changes. So I like to dry them when they taste bad, but then they taste awesome. The riper they are when dried, the better they taste. It's all very strange. I find them very addictive and can eat a dozen bananas worth and still want more.
    So, what do you all think about bananas?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I like banana chips … I make them myself with my NESCO dryer

Sometimes I like them crunchie, and sometimes more rubbery

Never tried dried bananas --- is it a whole banana dried ?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

If you use a food dryer, you are making dried bananas. If you fry them, you are making banana chips. Sounds to me like you make dried bananas. You could probably dry whole bananas, but it would probably take like fourteen hours to dry them.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

I like Plantain Chips. My Mommy made the best, but the ones at Trader Joe's are pretty damn good.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          If you use a food dryer, you are making dried bananas. If you fry them, you are making banana chips. Sounds to me like you make dried bananas. You could probably dry whole bananas, but it would probably take like fourteen hours to dry them.
          Ok, I've never had fried bananas --- just dehydrated

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

banana chips give me gas! TMI? lol

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎