• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Netflix/Vertigo Sweet Tooth

sweet-tooth-netflix.jpg

Ten years ago "The Great Crumble" wreaked havoc on the world and led to the mysterious emergence of hybrid babies born part human, part animal. Unsure if hybrids are the cause or result of the virus, many humans fear and hunt them. After a decade of living safely in his secluded forest home, a sheltered hybrid deer-boy named Gus (Christian Convery) unexpectedly befriends a wandering loner named Jepperd (Nonso Anozie). Together they set out on an extraordinary adventure across what is left of America in search of answers—about Gus' origins, Jepperd's past, and the true meaning of home. But their story is full of unexpected allies and enemies, and Gus quickly learns the lush, dangerous world outside the forest is more complex than he ever could have imagined.

Cast
    Nonso Anozie as Tommy Jepperd
    Christian Convery as Gus
    Adeel Akhtar as Dr. Aditya Singh
    Stefania LaVie Owen as Bear
    Dania Ramirez as Aimee Eden
    Aliza Vellani as Rani Singh
    James Brolin as narrator
    Will Forte as Pubba, Gus' father
    Neil Sandilands as General Steven Abbot

First season is only 8 episode.

Based on the Vertigo Comics:
    9e6c863425dac6020b5907aeb3579c5f.jpg
    Gus, a young boy with deer features, lives a quiet life deep in the woods with his father. He learns many things, from medical care to religious prophecy. Though he loves his religious father, he yearns to escape as he learns that there is not fire past the trees, but simply more land.

Sometime after Gus' father passes from an illness, strange men come to capture him. They are slain by Jeppard, who then promises to take Gus to a sanctuary. Lonely, Gus goes with him. Along the way, they encounter many problems. Hybrid cultists almost kill Jeppard but Gus saves him. 'Sweet Tooth' then earns his nickname by eating all of Jeppard's candy/food stash though he had gained more food while Jeppard recovered. The duo also rescue several women from a prostitution ring.

Ultimately, Jeppard betrays Gus to a horrible scientific facility in return for the bones of his wife. It turns out a mysterious plague has been wiping out humanity, and the leader of the facility, Abbott, along with scientist Dr. Singh, believe the half-animal half-human children hybrids have something to do with it. In flashback we learn Jeppard was a former hockey bruiser who protected his wife Louise in the post apocalyptic world. Eventually though, Louise revealed she was pregnant and Jeppard relents when a militia, led by Abbott, offers protection. It was all a trick however, with Abbott and Singh experimenting on pregnant women and hybrid babies to try to find a cure for the plague. Jeppard is kept in a cage but is eventually freed by Abbott's brother Johnny, a guard in the facility. Johnny tells Jeppard his wife is dead, and Jeppard goes on a rampage through the facility. He is recaptured, and Abbott lets him out of the camp, telling him he can have his wife's remains if he brings Abbott a hybrid child. This was why Jeppard betrayed Gus, and he heads home to fulfill a promise to his wife that he would "bring her back home".

Gus, despite the horrors, makes friends with the last of the animal children at the place, the pig girl Wendy, half feral groundhog boy Bobby, and the silent deer boy Buddy. Gus is hypnotized by Dr Singh, who goes deep into his memory to find out the truth about his birth. He discovers that Gus's father was a lunatic, and may even have been responsible for the apocalypse. He insists Abbott take him to the woods. They discover a bible that was written by Gus's father, but no evidence of a mother in her grave, on the way back to the camp, Singh starts to believe the writings. Jeppard, overwhelmed with guilt and a directionless life, decides to re-rescue Gus. He recruits Becky and Lucy, the women he saved, and hundreds of hybrid cultists. With help from Johnny, the children escape, although Gus is forced to kill a lost alligator-child who had gone feral. While on the move, Jeppard and Gus share an identical dream about Alaska.

A battle and the intervention of Johnny allow Jeppard and the women to escape with the children and Dr Singh, who insists on coming. Seemingly, Buddy is lost to the murderous attentions of the hybrid cultists... and at the same time seems to think Jeppard is his father. Despite the emotional turmoil, the group closes ranks to protect the children still with them. Buddy is taken by Abbott who murders the head cultist to do so. Somehow, the headmaster is now friendly and sympathetic towards the injured, moaning boy. Gus, Jeppard, Becky, Lucy, Wendy, Bobby, Johnny, and Singh stumble across a mysterious dam.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I read the first half of the series a few years back but got interrupted by emergency surgery and didn't get back to it until last month, when I binged through all 6 volumes of the trades. I am a big fan of Lemire's creator-owned stuff (less so of his work-for-hire super-hero stuff which is good, just not to the level of his other stuff imho), and I will buy/read just about anything original he does (Trillium, Descender, Essex County, Gideon Falls, and many others are among my favorites). I will eventually get around to watching this. I saw and liked the trailer, though the tone form the trailer seemed different from the comics, so I am a little on the fence about it. However I recently got hooked on Critical Role and have been working my way through 5 years of backlog on that which has consumed all my viewing time so it may be a while before I get to it (though I will take a break to watch Loki as it airs).

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

WOW we just finished watching Sweet Tooth & it was good.
      Shocking I have NOT read the Comic Book so this weekend I will be speedreading the series to compare it.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

this is next on the watch list for the wife and I. was going to start last night but i was too tired

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

we're halfway through. it's kind of a cute little fable. the lead kid is really a good actor for someone so young. i didn't think my wife would like this one but she is really enjoying it because the kid is so cute

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

“As a deadly new wave of the Sick bears down, Gus (Christian Convery) and a band of fellow hybrids are held prisoner by General Abbot (Neil Sandilands) and the Last Men. Looking to consolidate power by finding a cure, Abbot uses the children as fodder for the experiments of captive Dr. Aditya Singh (Adeel Akhtar), who’s racing to save his infected wife Rani (Aliza Vellani).

To protect his friends, Gus agrees to help Dr. Singh, beginning a dark journey into his origins and his mother Birdie’s (Amy Seimetz) role in the events leading up to The Great Crumble. Outside the Preserve, Tommy Jepperd (Nonso Anozie) and Aimee Eden (Dania Ramirez ) team up to break the hybrids free, a partnership that will be tested as Jepperd’s secrets come to light.

As the revelations of the past threaten the possibility of redemption in the present, Gus and his found family find themselves on a collision course with Abbot and the evil forces that look to wipe them out once and for all.”
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡