X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1984 Mattel Marvel Comics Secret Wars Catalog

After toy giant Mego fell and released both the Marvel and DC superheroes licenses for the first time in over a decade. This was also the first time the action figure license was separated between companies. Kenner took the DC heroes and released Super Powers while Mattel scooped up the Marvel heroes to release the […]
    The post 1984 Mattel Marvel Comics Secret Wars Catalog appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Simple but super nice looking figures. The bright colors really pop.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

Secret Wars was a really cool toy line from the start.

It was so great seeing an entire wall of their figures.

Comment

• msenger76
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 3, 2009

The villains get no love for being peg warmers for so long, but man when you add a cape to Doom or Magneto, they look amazing.

Comment

• mego
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 16, 2012

Oh man, I loved my Kang!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It was definitely an exciting line at the time. As a kid I felt the lenticular shields were a neat novelty...for about 2 minutes out of the package. I gave a shield to my Cap (with the closest insert to approximate the design of his actual shield) and threw the rest in a toy box. Mattel apparently went to DC with this concept, and they passed, so this is why Marvel got saddled with the gimmick. They later revived the gimmick with a wave of their Justice League animated figures.

That Tower of Doom playset was REALLY cool. And my friends and I used it for multiple lines. It made a great Cobra stronghold, and a villains HQ for the Super Powers foes as well, since the Darkseid Tower of Darkness never got made.

My favorite figure in the Secret Wars line is Iron Man. I remember picking him up at a rare trip to "the big city" at a Thornberry's Toys in the Turfland Mall, Lexington, KY. Those vivid reds and yellows just make for a great toy. And the design was spot on to the classic armor.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• msenger76
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 3, 2009

It just today hit me that the Iron Man in Secret Wars is Rhodey. the cardback says Rhodey. but the flicker shield shows tony stark.

Who do i alert to cancel secret wars?

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

action figure check list.jpg

I had most of these when they come out. One of the few (besides the Euro figures) I could never find was Daredevil. I was lucky to find Falcon (I never found him as a Mego). For Chirstmas one year my parents got me the Turbo Cycle, I am pretty sure that was the last toy I have got from them. I may even still have it packed away.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

I'm still looking for Regular Spidey and Hobgoblin. I was lucky enough to get the European three in March.
                  20210324_090304.jpg

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

Those Euro figure were better that some of the America figures. I still want Iceman to add to my collection.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Although there were some blatant omissions from the roster, this was a great line and I had a few of the figures back then.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I only ever had classic Spidey and Captain America... but they were favorites of mine. One thing I never see discussed is the paint on these figures. They are so shiny and smooth... like they got a few extra coats of polyurethane or something... whatever it is, I just love the effect.

I agree that the shield gimmick only really worked for Cap, which I think actually discouraged me from getting more of them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                          Although there were some blatant omissions from the roster, this was a great line and I had a few of the figures back then.
                          According to Comics Alliance featuring prototype art: Hulk, Abomination, Annihilus, Thunderball, Mr. Fantastic, Mystique, and Dazzler were considered before cancellation.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

One thing I never see discussed is the paint on these figures. They are so shiny and smooth... like they got a few extra coats of polyurethane or something... whatever it is, I just love the effect.
                            But yet, this line has the history of more paint rubs than just about any line I know of. Most Daredevils found out in the wild are just big red blobs with all the minimal paint apps worn completely off, or at best Matt Murdock has severe sunburn on his face. Cap's stripes on his abdomen are also usually wrecked. They do look nice when shiny and new, but Mattel must have not done any paint endurance testing on this line.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 24, 2020

Secret Wars a amust in 1984 for me although I was getting old and leaving toys I did buy Iron Man Dr Doom and Wolverine black claws love the comic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎