Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Museam chefs (corned beef hash)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Question for Museam chefs (corned beef hash)

How can I make my store-bought canned corned beef hash like in the diner ?

Basically like a crunchy burger with soft-ish inside

When I fry it on the stove it either comes out over-crunchy or under-done --- either way it leaves my non-stick pan wrecked.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Try olive oil instead of vegetable oil or butter and cook it slower on slightly lower heat.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Try olive oil instead of vegetable oil or butter and cook it slower on slightly lower heat.
      I know olive oil is a snooty "chef" thing nowadays (extra virgin) --- but I always thought it has a weird aftertaste …

I just want regular old fashioned greasy-spoon diner taste

EDIT to add ……….

Asking this because my local diner in (walking distance) closed down and became a Japanese sushi bar …

Wish them the best of luck ---------- but I crazy miss a good corned beef hash and eggs (add sausage peppers and onions) omelet.
      Last edited by Mikey; Jun 2, '21, 4:08 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
        I know olive oil is a snooty "chef" thing nowadays (extra virgin) --- but I always thought it has a weird aftertaste …
        I suggested it because it's one of the oils my Mom taught me to cook with and it works well on medium heat. If you don't like the taste try Wesson Canola Oil. Which is another go to oil I use for cooking and baking.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
          but I crazy miss a good corned beef hash and eggs (add sausage peppers and onions) omelet.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

your local greasy spoon had a cast or steel plate cooktop they were frying that stuff on. If you want it to be like that, use a cast iron or a steel pan that is seasoned up instead of the teflon pan. If you cook bacon, save the drippings in a tin to use as your cooking oil.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Canned hash is so greasy, I never add oil to fry it.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

To get that thin crunchy crispy crust, use high heat. What are you looking for is not the medium heat thick patty. You want that thin crust crispy caramelized smash patty. I love olive oil, but it’s not a high temp oil and it will burn (it also has a unique flavor). Use a high temp tolerant oil like peanut oil or avocado oil (which has a neutral flavor). Vegetable and canola oils works too, Use little oil though, you are not deep frying here. Place your corned beef hash (make it into a ball) on an iron skillet or carbon steel but not a teflon skillet. Once placed on really hot surface, press down on ball-shaped corned beef hash with a spatula (you can use parchment paper between the spatula and patty, but I don’t myself). Flattened it like a pancake. Let it blast for a couple of minutes. You can keep pressuring the patty down with the spatula if you wish. Flip, repeat procedure. You will get the outer crispy crunchy texture. That’s how you make smash burgers. And by reading your thread, that’s what you are looking for in your corned beef hash.

Like this:

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Just had a maybe nutty thought

What if I made a burger shape or two out of it and baked it ?

(posted this before Hec's reply)

Comment

• Carl Arnold
                    • Feb 6, 2023

Making canned corned beef hash crispy on the outside and soft on the inside can be a bit tricky, but there are a few tips that can help. If you ever tried to cook instant pot corned beef cabbage, it won't be a big deal for you.
                    First, make sure that you're using a non-stick pan that's in good condition. A damaged non-stick surface can cause food to stick and burn, which can make it difficult to achieve the desired texture.
                    Next, try cooking the hash on medium-high heat and let it cook undisturbed for a few minutes until it starts to form a crust. Then, use a spatula to flip the hash over and cook the other side until it's crispy as well. Don't overcrowd the pan - work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan.
                    Another tip is to add a small amount of oil or butter to the pan before adding the hash. This can help to prevent sticking and also adds flavor.
                    Finally, if you want to avoid damaging your non-stick pan, you could try using a cast iron skillet or griddle instead. Cast iron distributes heat evenly and can help you achieve a crispy crust on the hash without damaging your pan.
                    Remember to be patient and let the hash cook for a few minutes on each side without stirring. This will help the crust to form and give you that crunchy texture you're looking for. Good luck and happy cooking!
                    Last edited by Carl Arnold; Feb 16, '23, 5:07 AM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

I did it in the air fryer with a flat burger shape

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡