X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Marmite / Vegemite in usa

Always wanted to try these but nobody ever carries them.

Is there a popular chain grocery store in the USA where these might be found and bought in person ?

No internet stores
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Try World Market, Whole foods or any local organic/health food type stores if you have them.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 1, '21, 2:06 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Kind of a touristy area around here …

Not a lot of health food stores available unless you count deli's, hot dog stands and your average Walmart, Aldi's, Giant, Weis, Shop-Rite and Price-Chopper.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Never heard of Marmite, but I have a friend that tried Vegemite when he visited Australia. Said it was beyond disgusting.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I kinda like the taste of things most people call disgusting so i'm that much more intrigued …

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

my sister brought us home a jar of vegemite when she visited Australia years ago. so i had to have myself a vegemite sandwich. it was gross. suffice to say the jar did not get eaten any further

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Tried Vegemite once in the '90s, did not like it.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I've heard it's incredibly salty but has a savory-beefy background taste …

My brain is telling me it should taste a little like reduced down beef bullion …

No ???

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

No. super salty and yeasty. I don't like to drink beer, either.

I don't get the bouillon comparison, I didn't perceive that. Just very salty, bitter, and funky. I was told it's eaten as a toast spread, I had it on a cracker.

Now, I do like funky cheese and my tastes have changed as I've aged, but I can't imagine embracing it.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 1, '21, 9:41 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Count me in as not liking Vegemite either. You have to be born into the local traditional Australia food habits to appreciate it. Just like many who are not Mexican say menudo stew is disgusting, but I love it, because I grew up with it, lol. Uruguayans love a drink called mate. They drink that stuff everyday, all day. My neighbor is Uruguayan. He has tried for years to get me to like mate. Nope, I still hate that stuff, it’s disgusting to me. Try drinking tea with crushed dry oregano out of a cup, that’s mate for ya...

1CE7671F-51A9-4546-B000-501F91B9162C.jpg

503ABA88-CEB0-42D2-9EB3-49CC7EC79190.jpg

sigpic

Comment

• mego
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 16, 2012

I love it. My family does not share my appreciation.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

How do you eat it?

I just read you should use it sparingly on buttered toast, that might be better...mostly salty.

Comment

• J.B.
                          Guild Navigator
                          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Hector
                          Uruguayans love a drink called mate. They drink that stuff everyday, all day. My neighbor is Uruguayan. He has tried for years to get me to like mate. Nope, I still hate that stuff, it’s disgusting to me. Try drinking tea with crushed dry oregano out of a cup, that’s mate for ya...
                          Ha! My best friend growing up is from Argentina and his Dad was from Paraguay, and boy, did they love their maté. Tried it, not for me. Gonna' stick to my Cuban Coffee.
                          Last edited by J.B.; Jun 2, '21, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                            I kinda like the taste of things most people call disgusting so i'm that much more intrigued …
                            "Mikey, I've had it, Mate...it's disgusting. Let it go."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Vegemite is like a slightly toned down version of Marmite.
                              They say you either love or hate those yeast based spreads... I pretty much hate them.
                              (But strangely, I don't mind Marmite flavoured potato chips. Go figure.)
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎