X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Paul Soles, Spider-Man of the 1960s series has died

Paul Soles, voice of Peter Parker and Spider-Man in the 1960s series has died.
    His was the voice I heard in my head whenever I played with my Mego Spiderman. Even when later animated versions of the wall crawler appeared, I think there was a conscious effort to get someone who sounded and gave a similar delivery to Soles. For me, he defined what Spiderman/Peter Parker sounded like and how he spoke.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

And also the voice of Hermey the elf of Rudolph fame. Good credits.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I STILL hear his voice when I read Spider-Man comics, both as Peter and Spidey. Bud Colyer started that drop in register from civilian to hero on radio with Superman, but I kind of feel like Soles perfected it. Teenage Peter using a "put-on" voice as Spider-MAN made total sense to me.

He's also in the Ed Norton Incredible Hulk movie as the guy who runs the pizza place, and lets Bruce Banner stay there, and reconnect with Betty.

And of course his voice will live on every year when Rudolph is watched and re-watched over and over.

RIP.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Bummer. He was a great Spidey!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

RIP. Will get out the toon dvds in homage tonight.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Sad news.
            His instantly recognizable voice was a huge facet of my childhood, due primarily to the Spidey cartoon.
            R.I.P.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎