Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Classic Toy Line Did You Sample But Didn't Try To Collect 'Em All?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

What Classic Toy Line Did You Sample But Didn't Try To Collect 'Em All?

'What Classic Toy Line Did You Sample But Didn't Try To Collect 'Em All?'

Which toy or toys did you really like, but just stayed with whatever toy line that you enjoyed collecting the most?

Some things were cool, but certain toys I just messed around with a little bit, or got it to go along with 3 & 3/4 action figures.

I only had one Turtle, I forget which one at the moment, from Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, though I remember watching the cartoon sometimes, and had a small artwork, or mini-poster from the comic book style.

Thinking back, I had two Bionic 6 figures, I treated them with extra care, because they seemed so special, being heavy.

They did have great potential.

Not sure if they made more than four action figures for Defender's of the Earth, I was into other stuff at the time, but remember getting the four main characters because I liked the television series so much.

Some of the other, I did more than sample them.

I did sample little two-inch shark people, I would have to look them up, but I got a couple of them, and put them in my Sand Crawler control section. I think it was getting late into the 1980's by then, but could never get away from good toys, never wanted to get too far away from them.

I had some generic Green Ninja, which was very cool, about the size of MotU.

The Ninja might have been Remco.

And, I did have at least two of the Remco bad guy military action figures.

Some of those had more classic type gear, like 1940's machine guns.

I did have The A-Team boat and had it floating on a small river somewhere, we might have sold that one, or gave it away.

I also enjoyed all the little toys and game in between, that really did not go with anything, and probably are things that are not much in demand today, since there is so much electronic stuff out there.

I still prefer physical objects as toys, in the world, instead of electronics, even though they can be fun and do have their purposes.

It's cool that electronic systems and games were around and developing into better and better games, but they were never the main focus, the regular toys seemed far more fascinating.
    Last edited by Klosterheim; May 25, '21, 1:34 AM.
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Thanks to getting some toys as birthday or Christmas gifts, I had some toys that amounted to samples of certain lines: Starriors and Thundercats were but both singletons, and I folded them into my toys and played with them alongside what else I had, but I never went after others in those lines. I was also given Breaker from GI Joe, plus I got the helicopter with Wild Bill myself, but, despite watching the cartoon, I never really got into that line either. I had 4 figures from Star Wars films (a couple of droids and Lobot as gifts, and Bespin Han I bought myself once when it was one of the few things at whatever store where I was trying to spend some birthday money) but never tried to get into the full line. I think that was the truest sampling--I liked the idea of getting that line, but I kind of knew then I wasn't going to collect them all.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Hmmm,

Off of the top of my head ……..

(1970's) --- GI Joe AT (Adventure Team) … was happy with my common Land Adventure ….. My bestest bud had an Air Adventurer which I was really jelly of, but not enough to beg for another figure - as opposed to an action playset …

(1970's) --- Marx - BEST OF THE WEST … As a kid I never wanted any Indians (just thought they were meh) … Today, though I LOVE the INDIANS --- weird how growing up can so much change your world views on REAL heroes...

(1970's) --- Big Jim (original camping dude) ……. Had no interest in any of his clone repainted buds except for the black version --- Even as a kid I could see it was a different sculpt and a dang nice one.... Unfortunately my local Big Jim supplier (Rockaways Sales) didn't have any black Big Jims

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

I think because of gifts, back before everyone just sent gift cards, there was always some odd balls. I only had one Big Jim, one SSP racer, one Nylint car, and the main Evil Knevel set, though it was replaced even while a kid as played the crap out if it. And I'm lucky enough to still have all that stuff.

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
          Unfortunately my local Big Jim supplier (Rockaways Sales) didn't have any black Big Jims
          I’m not surprised; however, did they carry Big Jack ?

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

I purchased the cute Battlestar Galatica Daggit dog action figure, but that was it. I had no interest in collecting the others.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

I also had Steve Scout, but didn't collect anything else from that line.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Herself the Elf. Only had the main character.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Herself the Elf. Only had the main character.
                  Now that's a line I haven't heard of since the 1980s.
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                    Now that's a line I haven't heard of since the 1980s.
                    They weren't as cute and the quality wasn't as good as Strawberry Shortcake.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

They weren't as cute and the quality wasn't as good as Strawberry Shortcake.
                      New to me, I just checked ebay and they are still rather cute. American Greetings knocked off their own niche? Holy Defenders, Hasbro!
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

There was also Rose Petal Place going after the Strawberry Shortcake market. Cute little dolls that were scented like flowers. The cartoon special wasn't very good, though.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

You gents have seemed to forgotten Holly Hobby !!!

Strawberry Shortcake was a cheap knock-off

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

I used to pick through the Playmates Star trek figures to see what accessories were included that I could use with my SeaQuest DSV lineup.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Falstaff13
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 28, 2008

There was also Rose Petal Place going after the Strawberry Shortcake market. Cute little dolls that were scented like flowers. The cartoon special wasn't very good, though.
                              Again, I haven't thought of these since the 1980s. My sister had items from Holly Hobby and Strawberry Shortcake, and I remember the specials for the others but only saw the toys a few times in stores.
                              Hugh H. Davis

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎