Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

watched the other night. it was okay but not worth repeat viewings. was the whole point of the movie just to introduce Black Knight?

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

While far from the worst comic based movie ever, Eternals is definitely among the worst Marvel has done since 2008. I think I still give the nod to "The Incredible Hulk" as the worst Marvel movie, but this one is in that class. I just didn't care about the characters throughout the film. It barely even felt like it was a Marvel movie. I admit I didn't know the characters going into it, but neither will 90% of the general audience. It's not terrible, it's just not good.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
        I want those two hours of my life back, what an insipid lame arse movie. Iron Man 3 has a worthy adversary now as the worst MCU ever.

Mother of gawd…
        I'm usually a pretty easy mark. I can't think of anything I liked about this movie. I knew nothing about the Eternals going in, and almost none of it stuck.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

Finally watched it and agree with many of the above posts. Didn’t hate it, but it really fails at giving you anybody to care about, which is a pretty essential element to a good movie.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Watched it this week as well, was ok, not great and not one I'm real interested in watching again. Reminded me of most of the recent DC movies, watched it so I could say I watched it. The post credits seemed a little too optimistic that there would be more of this.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Yeah… I’m a pretty easy sell on the Marvel movies too, usually. I even liked Iron Man 3…

My brother wanted to see this in the theatre so we went and watched it and I just couldn’t make myself care about anything that was going on in this movie. I have to admit I didn’t know a whole lot about the Eternals either, and maybe that had something to do with it. But I didn’t know anything about Guardians of the Galaxy either, and I loved those.

This was just a big expensive misfire to me. I see it every time my Disney+ menu starts up and I’m not the least bit tempted to revisit that big gray snoozer. I passed by it last night to watch The Million Dollar Duck.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I watched it a couple of weekends ago, or whenever it was first released on Disney+. My wife and I both both thought it was a snoozer. Especially after watching Shang Chi the week before, which was better than I expected. I never read The Eternals comics either, but to echo YoungOnce, I never read the modern Guardians of the Galaxy either, and found those movies to be fun and entertaining.

Ah well! They can't all be winners! And I haven't seen them all; I skipped Iron Man 3, Thor: Dark World, or Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

This was a joyless, soulless 2.5 hour mess of a film that had little to say and even less to make the audience think about. How did anyone really think a movie about people who are immortal and thousands of years old would be even remotely entertaining or engaging? They essentially had no purpose or goals in the last thousand years on Earth, and it shows. The actors ran through the lines like a life insurance commercial, and the director's use of muted color palette and erratic framework was amateur and fundamentally irresponsible.

I'm sure Jack Kirby's skeletal remains voided its etheral, post-mortem bowels upon seeing this monstrosity of a film and how his colorful, vivacious creations were transformed into nothing more than a cosmic-sized asteroid of Celestial feces.

I did, however, appreciate the surprise heel turn. That was cleverly disguised.
                  I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't tried watching it again, but in hindsight, I was probably a bit too positive about it. Not because so many find it "meh", but because I barely remember watching it now. The Ikaris/Mercarri fight at the end was pretty sweet, but that's about all I really recall. Hawkeye and especially Spider-Man: No Way Home wiped my mind clean of this. I don't think Marvel will do a direct sequel. They'll just pepper the storylines and characters into other things with more appealing properties.
                    sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

I watched it last week. I don't think it was as bad as some here would describe, but it was so different from the usual Marvel fare I can understand why the reaction has been like it is. I have been a comics fan for 40+ years, but never really cared much for Kirby's post-Lee work. It's always felt a little (no pun intended) inhuman to me.

I think the biggest problem was that the cast was so big that they didn't have time to focus on any one person; if they could have trimmed the cast to about half the size it might have worked better. Ikarus was pretty cool. Gemma Chan was good, but I'm not sure she had any chemistry at all with Richard Madden or with Kit Harrington.

I did enjoy the cinematography... the big sweeping vistas and especially the scenes where Ajak and Sersi were talking to Arishem where they are teeny tiny and he is amazingly huge.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎