X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Modded Super Friends Batman

The FTC Super Friends Batman is my favorite Mego Style Batman. I think they nailed the character perfectly. It reminds me of the Filmation Batman, and just a great general late 60s / early 70s Batman. But the not-so-great FTC body was a problem. I've been wanting to move it to a S Type body for a while. With a little help and generosity from LaserMego, I was finally able t easily take my extra suit and head and make a S Type SF Batman. It wasn't quite as flawless a move as my other conversions have been.

First, no stripped screws on the S Type body I picked from the pile... YAY!!!! Really, that's a big deal for me.

Next, I cut the tiny neck stem from the Batman head and used the FTC neck plug instead, which required me to glue the head onto it. The original neck plug would have kept popping out of the S Type body.

The FTC suits usually fit sung on a S Type body, but the tailoring on this particular suit had a bit too much fabric on the sleeves. And a tad bit much on the legs too. So the suit is still not as tight as I would like, and using plug-in gloves and boots made it a little challenging to get right, but I don't mind it; it still looks nice.

My flawless method of using heat shrink on the end of the molded plug-in gloves worked great, until my OCD got the best of me and I decided to shorten the hang of the left hand... and it never really went back into the arm like I wanted, but the fit is still fine.

LaserMego helped me easily get the plug-in boots attached... no struggling this time... thanks Paul!

The worst mistake though was when I went to put on the cape. It's not an elastic neck hole, so it has to go on before the head goes on. Not a problem if I don't cut the original plug off and make it fit the body better. But the way I did it meant undoing everything to get the cape on. Instead, I dug into the parts box and pulled out the Mattel Retro Heroes Batman cape, which has an elastic neck hole. It's not as nice as the SF cape, but it does look nice on the figure, being blue on both sides, and makes this figure a little different that my displayed SF Batman. I was surprised that the blues matched up too.

So, without further ado, Batman! (different lighting...)

FTC SF Batman Mod 1.jpg
    FTC SF Batman Mod 2.jpg
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

I think you did a great job putting this together, looks Bat Tastic!

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

He looks awesome!

Comment

• silveralex
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 22, 2012

Fantastic! I've been thinking off doing this but didn't know if it was possible. That SF Batman is the Bats of my childhood

So just checking - I should need an FTC neck plug? And what's the method for getting the gloves and boots on?

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by silveralex
          Fantastic! I've been thinking off doing this but didn't know if it was possible. That SF Batman is the Bats of my childhood

So just checking - I should need an FTC neck plug? And what's the method for getting the gloves and boots on?
          The neck plug on the SF Batman is really small and put on a S Type body, it goes in without unscrewing the body... and pops right out just as easily. I have a few conversions where I just left it, or took advantage of bodies that had stripped screws. As display pieces, you can make it work. But I decided to make it a true fit, so I cut the neck plug off the head with an exacto knife and glued it to an FTC Type S neck plug.

For the gloves, I heated and pulled the wrist posts out of the forearms, added some heat shrink to the ends to lengthen them because they are too short for the S Type body and will get lost inside the arm, and then just reattached the gloves.

The boots are more tricky and where I have issues. You can use the Hero plug-in glove posts probably in the same way that you use them in the forearms. I really can't remember how I converted my TV Series Batman and Robins, but I tried something different with my Hawkman conversion and failed miserably. I reached out to LaserMego for help, but it's nothing that he is selling on his site right now, so I would recommend using the glove wrist posts with heat shrink for the boots too.

I still want to play with him a bit to see if I can make the suit less baggy, or hide it better. After doing S Type conversions of the new Mego Superman and Batman, I think I can and need to make Batman look a little tighter.

Comment

• silveralex
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 22, 2012

Originally posted by TRDouble
            The neck plug on the SF Batman is really small and put on a S Type body, it goes in without unscrewing the body... and pops right out just as easily. I have a few conversions where I just left it, or took advantage of bodies that had stripped screws. As display pieces, you can make it work. But I decided to make it a true fit, so I cut the neck plug off the head with an exacto knife and glued it to an FTC Type S neck plug.

For the gloves, I heated and pulled the wrist posts out of the forearms, added some heat shrink to the ends to lengthen them because they are too short for the S Type body and will get lost inside the arm, and then just reattached the gloves.

The boots are more tricky and where I have issues. You can use the Hero plug-in glove posts probably in the same way that you use them in the forearms. I really can't remember how I converted my TV Series Batman and Robins, but I tried something different with my Hawkman conversion and failed miserably. I reached out to LaserMego for help, but it's nothing that he is selling on his site right now, so I would recommend using the glove wrist posts with heat shrink for the boots too.

I still want to play with him a bit to see if I can make the suit less baggy, or hide it better. After doing S Type conversions of the new Mego Superman and Batman, I think I can and need to make Batman look a little tighter.
            Thx for the info! I'm going to give this a try. Is there a source for more glove wrist posts (other than buying gloves that come with them on CTVT?) And also, any specific glue you would recommend ?

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by silveralex
              Thx for the info! I'm going to give this a try. Is there a source for more glove wrist posts (other than buying gloves that come with them on CTVT?) And also, any specific glue you would recommend ?
              I don't know of anything else that can be used besides the CTVT posts. If you use their gloves though, the male gloves should come with the posts (the female gloves did not in the past).

I used Gorilla Glue, but any super glue would work. I prefer one that comes with a brush.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

Yes, that really is Batman the way I see him.
                LOOK
                Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• darkbros
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 3, 2012

Nice job and the Retro Action cape does make him look spot on!!!

I'll keep your tutorial bookmarked, so far ( knocks loudly on wood) my FTC body on mine is still solid with no issues, so I probably won't convert him until it develops any.

I am though working on converting my Mego Trinity over to Type S on all, Superman on a muscular Type S upgrade, Batman on a regular type S and WW on a Type S female ( Yvonne),
                  soon as the parts order comes in. I started on WW ( and videoed my progress over on Youtube), I'll get their eventually.
                  Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                  https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Very good Batman, that's the blue I prefer too and I like the Mattel cape.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

When I look at it, it reminds me of the one pictured on the side panels of the mego window boxes.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by darkbros
                        Nice job and the Retro Action cape does make him look spot on!!!

I'll keep your tutorial bookmarked, so far ( knocks loudly on wood) my FTC body on mine is still solid with no issues, so I probably won't convert him until it develops any.

I am though working on converting my Mego Trinity over to Type S on all, Superman on a muscular Type S upgrade, Batman on a regular type S and WW on a Type S female ( Yvonne),
                        soon as the parts order comes in. I started on WW ( and videoed my progress over on Youtube), I'll get their eventually.
                        I need to see that YouTube video on Wonder Woman. I bought a Yvonne with the idea of using the body for Wonder Woman. I have the Mego Batman and Superman also on a regular Type S (Batman's costume was a little tight), and just put the Mattel Superman costume on a Type S body with the new FTC Superman head sculpt and FTC rubber Superman boots. Besides my daughter saying Superman's head looks pale and sickly, I thought it came out well! I wish the boots were more faded though.

When you say the Type S muscular body, so you mean the Type S Upgrade Kit? I have a few original kits from the 8 Inch SuperStore, but I never found a need to have the double jointed elbows and knees and wasn't sure the costumes with hole up with the extra articulation.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2019

I actually JUST bought this exact Batman with intent to upgrade it. But just a bit beefier utilizing a MOTU torso.
                          Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎