• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Strother Martin

"What we've got here, is...failure to communicate."

I've always had a great affinity for certain character actors, many beloved here as well.

In my opinion, Martin is one of the best. Just watched him again in Big Valley and he excels in even pedestrian roles. Give him some scenery to chew or a bit of comedy and he's stupendous. His Tennessee Williams riff on Dick van Dyke is gold.

Do any of you also enjoy his performances? I've seen so much of his TV stuff and films, I can never pass him up.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Barnabas Collins
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 15, 2010

He was in some excellent episodes of Gunsmoke. I agree he was one of the best.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Yes! And throughout its whole run. One of the most frequent guest-stars, I think. EDIT Eleven times.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; May 22, '21, 2:39 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Strother Martin is good in his roles.

I always liked him in Rooster Cogburn, as well.

He is in a Rockford Files.

I liked seeing him on Saturday Night Live.

I probably seen him here and there in other things.

Other than Cool Hand Luke.

I like Guest Stars in general, that is why I recently watched Season One of The Fall Guy, to see various actors and actresses of certain time periods. I can't remember if he was in one, since there were so many stars. Lee Major's co-star, Linda Evans, from The Big Valley showed up, I do remember that.

Oh, I almost forgot The Wild Bunch, that was a big movie that Strother Martin was in.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

I thought he was great in “Slap Shot”, a movie that no one in my circle of friends has seen. I keep telling them all they are missing out!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

He always reminded me of Will Geer

Like they were brothers or something

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎