• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins

snake_eyes_gi_joe_origins_xlg__scaled_800.jpg

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins stars Henry Golding as Snake Eyes, a tenacious loner who is welcomed into an ancient Japanese clan called the Arashikage after saving the life of their heir apparent. Upon arrival in Japan, the Arashikage teach Snake Eyes the ways of the ninja warrior while also providing something he’s been longing for: a home. But, when secrets from his past are revealed, Snake Eyes’ honor and allegiance will be tested – even if that means losing the trust of those closest to him. Based on the iconic G.I. Joe character, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins also stars Andrew Koji as Storm Shadow, Úrsula Corberó as The Baroness, Samara Weaving as Scarlett, Haruka Abe as Akiko, Tahehiro Hira as Kenta and Iko Uwais as Hard Master.

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Behind the scenes

A quick Behind The Scenes to the movie
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Not crazy about the new look they gave Baroness. The granny glasses and the shaggy bob hair cut makes her look more like an evil librarian. Other than that it looks fine. Cant be any worse than the previous two.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

So he's non caucausian, not scarred and not mute? that's a big omission of who snake eyes is but otherwise looks pretty good action wise. I wonder what Larry Hama thinks of the changes?

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

This is the ORIGIN of Snake Eyes, before the helicopter incident. I grew up reading the original comic books and I never thought of him as a Caucasian. It wasn't until after 90 issues in the annual that they showed Snake-Eyes true face and he turned out to be a blonde haired white guy. Reading these back then I pictured an Asian male that saved Storm Shadow and then been asked to join his Ninja clan years before he joined G.I. Joe. As for what Larry would say he is in the BTS video so it must be alright with him.

You have to remember when G.I. Joe came out. There were not a lot of non-white characters in Marvel or DC. Went G.I. Joe got there reboot the majority of the characters were white, which is strange because the US military is truly a rainbow of people but during this time the people in charge decided that only white (straight) characters would sell. Yeah they included a few characters of color here and there but be truthful both teams where mostly white washed.

So it truly makes since (at least to me) that Snake Eyes was cast with an Asian lead. This also means my boyfriend will be adding more figures to his shelf soon.
          Last edited by monitor_ep; May 17, '21, 10:26 PM.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure Snake-Eyes was shown to be a blonde caucasian in earlier Joe comics, during any flashback scenes. I remember seeing him unmasked, at least partially, in the second GI Joe Yearbook in 1984, 85 I think?

But I don't think changing his ethnicity changes the character, especially one who is masked 99.9% of the time, and is wrapped in tropes of Eastern mysticism and martial arts.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,he was hinted at being a white guy sometime around the 20s of the comic. I'm trying to remember the exact number but it was a flashback to Vietnam when he served with Stalker and Storm Shadow.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Yeah this looks terrible.

Putting aside all the changes to race and such, nobody really wants to see the story of Snake-Eyes before he couldn't talk. Especially since he really hasn't been established as a big character (in movies at least) that we'd care about his backstory. For all intents and purposes this movie is the start of a new Joe franchise and instead of creating some mystery and intrigue about the character, we're seeing him as just a regular guy.

Dreadful.

This will fail.

And then it'll be back to the drawing board and we'll get another soft GI Joe reboot in 10 years.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

Well my Asian boyfriend informed me that we WILL be going to watch this at the theater when it hits, so good or not we are going on July 23rd.

I hope that this will be like the Transformers: Bumblebee and give the live action series a reboot. The other 2 movies need to be forgotten about (but we will watch them before going to see the new one).
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; May 18, '21, 11:00 AM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    (but we will watch them before going to see the new one).
                    There's no need to subject yourself to that before the new movie.

1. They are absolutely terrible.
                    2. They kill nearly everyone off.
                    3. The new movie is reboot and thankfully not in the same continuity .
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

The 2nd movie wasn't quite as horrible, and a little more Joe-like, but neither are good. Those cheesy live-action early 90s commercials are better.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Those cheesy live-action early 90s commercials are better.
                        Those were a lot of fun.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i finally watched this movie last night. it was a good action movie, not a good GI Joe movie. acting was good and the fight sequences were decent but it was just too much of a change from the source material

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

If the creator didn't say he was ok with the redo of Snake-Eyes I would have been the same, but afterwards I liked it. Now my (Asian) boyfriend loved it but he doesn't know G.I. Joe, he just liked it being an Asian Action-Adventure movie (and has started to read my TPB of G.I. Joes).
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎