Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else love the sound of vintage stereo equipment?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Anyone else love the sound of vintage stereo equipment?

IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg

this is my set up. vintage mid sixties Magnavox console. Picked it up at an estate sale for $50. Cabinet was pristine for it's age but i had to have some repairs made to the turntable which cost around $300 but it was well worth it to me. Love the organic sound you get from these old systems and vinyl.

I have a smalled console i had gotten at an estate a few years before this one that i paid $5 for and repaired myself. cabinet is cheap particle board though. Gave that one to my daughter when i found the Magnavox one.

Any other fans?
  • shazam7208
    Career Member
    • Oct 28, 2008

Definitely!

I am always looking at these consoles every time I see one, looking for the right one....one of these days!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Always wanted one of those types of cabinet consoles. Very nice. Is that a new Venus and Mars LP or is it one from the 70's? Before the craziness started with vinyl being the "in thing" I was starting to buy some original 1st pressings from the UK when you could get a decent deal even with the shipping at what it is. Managed to get a few Macca / Wings LP'd for good prices and have to say the UK pressings are so much better than the US pressings. Not a fan of the "new" vinyl though. If you are ever looking for vinyl message me. Have about 10 - 15 totes (66 Qt. Sterlite) filled with vinyl I have been buying since probably around '95 / '96.

Comment

• mike69
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 4, 2011

Yes!! I don't have a console but, I do have a vintage Sansui Tuner/amplifier, turntable, and speakers. Plus a lot of records. You can't beat the sound quality from these older systems!!!!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

it's vintage vinyl. picked it up at a thrift store for .50 several years ago. it's pretty much pristine, had both posters still. i don't mind the 180 gram vinyl but i prefer vintage. i probably have around 500 LP's. The Floyd album is new 180 gram. Just got a remaster release on it with extra tracks so that is what i picked up. sounds fantastic. I have quite a few UK pressings of albums from the 60's and 70's. My buddies brother in law was in a band that was signed to Apple in 1968 by George Harrison. The album never got released at that time because of the legal battles that started and it got shelved. Finally got released a couple years ago. In any event, his brother in law passed a while back, and his widow recently passed as well, so my friend gave me his album collection. The band was Mortimer and they are actually quite good. I prefer their first album on the Philips label, but the apple record is also very good. The Ivey's, who later became Badfinger, were another band that got screwed in the Apple legal battles

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            it's vintage vinyl. picked it up at a thrift store for .50 several years ago. it's pretty much pristine, had both posters still. i don't mind the 180 gram vinyl but i prefer vintage. i probably have around 500 LP's. The Floyd album is new 180 gram. Just got a remaster release on it with extra tracks so that is what i picked up. sounds fantastic. I have quite a few UK pressings of albums from the 60's and 70's. My buddies brother in law was in a band that was signed to Apple in 1968 by George Harrison. The album never got released at that time because of the legal battles that started and it got shelved. Finally got released a couple years ago. In any event, his brother in law passed a while back, and his widow recently passed as well, so my friend gave me his album collection. The band was Mortimer and they are actually quite good. I prefer their first album on the Philips label, but the apple record is also very good. The Ivey's, who later became Badfinger, were another band that got screwed in the Apple legal battles
            Same here on vintage vinyl. Have a few newer releases...but I really don't care for the quality of almost all of them. As for Badfinger...they should be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Powerpop personified in my opinion. I love the Apple releases, but I think the 2 Warner releases, Badfinger and Wish You Were Here, were their best albums. Such a tragic story that I still haven't understood why they haven't made a movie about. It's ripe for an Oscar if it wasn't just a human tragedy.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
              Same here on vintage vinyl. Have a few newer releases...but I really don't care for the quality of almost all of them. As for Badfinger...they should be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Powerpop personified in my opinion. I love the Apple releases, but I think the 2 Warner releases, Badfinger and Wish You Were Here, were their best albums. Such a tragic story that I still haven't understood why they haven't made a movie about. It's ripe for an Oscar if it wasn't just a human tragedy.
              you're right. it would also showcase how record companies and the management teams screw the artists. Joey Molland still tours as Joey Molland's Badfinger and plays at Darylls House. I hope to catch one of the shows when things fully reopen.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Love the sound and look.
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

<Respect!> Love that you rehabbed the cabinet… always wanted to do that too, but with a mix of vintage and contemporary components to play all media in the archive.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                    <Respect!> Love that you rehabbed the cabinet… always wanted to do that too, but with a mix of vintage and contemporary components to play all media in the archive.
                    Most definitely. For the most part when you get cabinets like this you may want to change out some of the old wiring/connections. Learned so much in the almost 10 years from the Hoffman forums about things right down to the outlet you have stuff plugged into can affect the sound you will achieve.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I hear ya, I have a very sensitive turntable and the current in the house even affects our digital camera sensors.

There is a rebuild coming in my future; when the right cabinet emerges I'll be all in.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day I always bought SoundDesign all in one stereos and was very happy with them --- Aka K-mart specials --- plastic cabinets that stood on their own like a bedroom dresser

One had an 8-Track tape recorder --no BS

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

the console i gave my daughter is sounddesign, it has an 8 track player and turntable

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Yep.

Stereo.jpg

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I love that 50's table that's holding up the turntable

Is that speakers on it's front ?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎