Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else love the sound of vintage stereo equipment?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i was wondering the same thing. is there a turntable inside that thing?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

My parents had a huge buffet-sized cabinet stereo, c. 1965-67. I don't recall what became of it when they moved and downsized.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30767[/ATTACH]
        Oh..Hell..yes.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

One thing that can't be beat is the sound of a non-solid state tubed radio.

The sound is just so warm and comforting...

It's like you can feel the bass in your throat at times --- hard to describe.

When you first turn it on you get that progressive wooo-WHOO sound like an old UFO movie

Did any modern stereo company ever successfully reproduce a vintage tubed radio sound ?

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

I picked up a console last year for $25. The cabinet is in pretty decent shape, but the electronics aren't. I decided that the turntable was too big of a project for me, and I sold it for parts. Pretty sure I'm going to do the same with the receiver; not sure the speakers have any value. The question is what to do with the cabinet. I could put in nice bookshelf speakers and hook up a receiver & nice turntable, or I could drop in a pair of bluetooth speakers. Need to make a decision before the wife's patience runs out...prob easier just to do bluetooth, and we already have turntables in other rooms.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              Yep.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30767[/ATTACH]
              Oh, what I love the most in the picture is that gorgeous Japanese Yamaha G-5 guitar amplifier! Been trying to locate one for years now, no luck.

Here's my current Hi-Fi Stereo gear. All vintage Japan, except for the 1989 Technics CD player that is actually made in Germany.

Y'all stay safe and have a good Thursday!
              www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

If you can find them and have the skill to repair and maintain decades old stereo equipment, yeah, there is nothing better. They are a thing of beauty that are way beyond my skill level. I've watched many of Techmoan's repair vids and there's no way I could do that.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i hear you. add to that,places that still can repair old equipment are getting hard to find. i did a lot of searching before i found a place an hour away i could bring that console to for repairs on the turntable. i tried to fix it but ended up making it worse, lol

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

I've been trying to find a solid, working/rebuilt (probably Japanese) (dual if possible) cassette deck for a couple years… if anyone has a recommendations on a reliable workhorse, I'd love to hear.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎