Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the most you paid for a single toy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I paid like $250.00 for a mint on Unsealed card Space 1999 Palitoy Alan Carter.

Had to sell it in less than a year later 'cause I was cash strapped (what else is new)

But, -----when I die, at least I can say I owned one -- even for a brief second

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
      I would expect nothing less considering the other things you opened.

Still with his chrome finish it would be hard to find a loose, mint example.
      Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to find a mint loose example, especially with the arm attachments.
      The bubble was also really yellow...he looked instantly better out of the package.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Well I tend to look at stuff at a, "what could I sell it for later opinion". So if I feel I'm getting in it cheap, then I'll pull the trigger on higher dollar items.

Considering I also collect vintage Captain Action and GiJoe and Henshin Cyborg figures, that helps a lot. My wife knows I buy and sell stuff to finance my collection and she's always been very understanding even when she's sitting at her desk surrounding by hundreds of pairs of eyes staring at her.

I spent around $1,100 for a first issue all brass rivet with the Hasbro heat stamp on the left shoulder GiJoe a number of years ago. These had a smooth butt with no Hasbro markings and were also called Salesman Samples as they were the first one available in the public. The Hasbro teams used those to peddle the figures to toy retailers. Some also showed up in boxes at retail, but there wasn't many of them and were in triple TM coffin boxes. I had it for a number of years and a fellow collector wanted one badly, so I ended up selling it to him for quite a bit more.

Below are some pictures of that original one I had. I ended up trading for another one a few years ago, so I still have one in my collection.

Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• tay666
          Career Member
          • Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty cheap for the most part, but I do splurge every now and then.
          I've paid $150+ for a few Aurora model kits.

And $470 for an Aurora prototype.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I've always been on a pretty tight budget as far as big items go. If I added up the little things, I probably wouldn't balk at the big price tag items as much. But by the time I was making decent money I had a wife and kid(s), so I felt like I had to rein myself in. Seems like I've managed to keep most of my vintage toy purchases under $150-$200. I think with modern, like Hot Toys I have just barely topped $200 with those as well. I guess I have been pretty lucky with the deals I've found.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to find a mint loose example, especially with the arm attachments.
              The bubble was also really yellow...he looked instantly better out of the package.
              The last vintage figure I opened up was Lex. I later found another mint loose one but this one was waiting to be liberated.
              FB_IMG_1621204055787.jpg

Comment

• mike69
                Museum Super Collector
                • May 4, 2011

$175.00 for Zee Toys Radon and his flying saucer. My wife wasn't upset at all. I always discuss anything that costs of $50.00 with her first. I still have it in my display case.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Loved this toy back in the day --- unfortunately I don't have the scratch to buy another nowadays.

My Mom got me it at the drugstore when I had a cold

SUPER Thanks Mom

Link don't work --- if interested search … britains beeza chopper

m
                  Last edited by Mikey; May 18, '21, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

I don't think I've ever gone over 500 hundred for a single. It's funny because I just ran across something that is a new pre-order starting just over 500 bucks. I really want it more than most things vintage or modern, but I just realized that 500 is my ceiling. After that, forget it.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Mikey
                      Loved this toy back in the day --- unfortunately I don't have the scratch to buy another nowadays.

My Mom got me it at the drugstore when I had a cold

SUPER Thanks Mom

Link don't work --- if interested search … britains beeza chopper

m
                      You mean this

I get a kick outta non-collectors who say stuff like secret wars Captain America is my grail item. He's relatively common just search for him pay the $20. If he meant that much to you as a kid.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

I paid $200 for the Legends of the West Frontier Town. I had gotten beaten (by much more) in a couple of auctions, but this got me the last thing I ever needed (barring some discovery) from that line by Empire.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Carey5831
                          • Nov 9, 2020

My Silver Gorilla Soldier by far. hahaha 300 plus

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

I've paid more money for a new statue than any single toy I have. I think the most was a Sideshow Darth Vader, about 3 years ago. Maybe $300. I also dropped $600 on a set of boxed Mego knights long before they were reproduced. At the time that was a steal.

Comment

• Carey5831
                              • Nov 9, 2020

I think if my wife knew how much I really spent on toys she would probably leave hahaha

Comment

• danadoll
                                Micronaut Nut!
                                • Apr 11, 2005

I feel so frugal, compared to you guys. The most I ever spent (iirc), was $94 or so on a buy-it-now (eBay) about six or seven years ago on a complete Mego Micronauts Star Defender in box. I was/am so happy to have finally have one.

Dana
                                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎