Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the most you paid for a single toy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by danadoll
    I feel so frugal, compared to you guys. The most I ever spent (iirc), was $94 or so on a buy-it-now (eBay) about six or seven years ago on a complete Mego Micronauts Star Defender in box. I was/am so happy to have finally have one.

Dana
    We don't think of toys as investments but if you hang onto it long enough it will be. What was a pricey $50 at a toy show could be selling for $350 online now.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I paid about $250 for a boxed, mostly complete GI JOE Space Capsule in 2007. No 45 RPM or float ring, but everything else and the box is really nice. It was something I had wanted since I was a little kid and some kid I knew had a hand-me-down from an uncle. 1966 was before my time, but I really wanted one because I was a kid ate up with all things Air Force/Navy/NASA. That purchase made my inner 7 year old happy.

Most of my collection, especially the Mego part, was built by buying cheap and cleaning, repairing, combining parts, and using repro if needed. THAT was absolutely the most gratifying part of collecting for me because I loved the process. As a result, I enjoy seeing what I loved as a kid displayed so I can appreciate and remember. That is subjective and therefore not worth much to anyone but me.

Comment

• danadoll
        Micronaut Nut!
        • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        We don't think of toys as investments but if you hang onto it long enough it will be. What was a pricey $50 at a toy show could be selling for $350 online now.
        Oh, it's not an investment...it's mine, precious. I'm never selling it! LOL!

Dana
        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Makernaut
          I paid about $250 for a boxed, mostly complete GI JOE Space Capsule in 2007. No 45 RPM or float ring, but everything else and the box is really nice.
          My boxed one is also missing the 45 record, but did not come with a float ring. I think some came with the float ring, plus a life raft w/ oar. Not sure which is the earliest version. Love this toy!

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

IIRC, the float ring and raft are Sears exclusives.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              IIRC, the float ring and raft are Sears exclusives.
              I was about to type this same thing
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 24, 2020

in 1996 i paid 435,00 for a boxed Alien 1979 kenner

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Thanks to all for helping me realize that I had somehow never dinged in that the Sears exclusive existed, yet somehow thought I was missing its exclusive pieces from my regular version. It's all pretty clear on Vintage 3D Joes and as much as I have perused that site, you'd think I would have been able to see the distinction. I've got no idea why I couldn't make that separation in my understanding of a toy I profess to love.

As I said, it was a toy before my time, but it's so cool that I had to have one, even if it took me until I was a middle-aged dude.
                  Last edited by Makernaut; Jun 3, '21, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Thinking about it, I did pay $2,500 for a diamond circle suit Spidey. Wish I still had it.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎