Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the most you paid for a single toy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

What was the most you paid for a single toy?

what was the most you've ever paid for it? Was your wife or girlfriend upset you spend that much? Do you still have it proudly displayed.

I always had a collector mentality and bought what is liked and was never really swinging for the fences on grail items.
    A loose mint Aqualad I paid $233 on and a carded Batgirl I spend $270ish on. I think that was my ceiling.
    Nowadays I understand rarer items are worth breaking the bank for but everything is high right now.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Ummmm--a lot, on boxed Gamma VI, boxed Mad Monster Castle, and non-magnetic British 12" Batman & Robin. Definitely over $300 for those, but I don't recall any of my other Mego purchases being much more than $400. I am never picky about packaging as long as the toys themselves are minty.

I will say gratefully, and I think such opportunities here are probably gone now, that I was very fortunate to be able to purchase those above items over time from members and make payments.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I think around $150 each for Laser Light Skeletor and He-Man. This was probably back in the late 90s. They were on so-so cards and I opened them. Still work but you have to be really gentle with them as plastic has gotten a bit brittle with age. $150 is also what I paid each for the 12 inch Mondo He-Man and Skeletor. They are really nice. But I can't see getting more of those. Though it would be hard to pass up She-Ra.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

although I can afford to spend more, i have always been kind of cheap when purchasing stuff. i would wait and wait until I found one I could get relatively cheap. I think the most I did pay was around $125 for a boxed Dr Who years ago, which honestly was probably too much, but i wanted it so it was worth it

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

$1,750. Palisades Micronauts purple Emperor and Megas prototype variant. I sold it, and you can see it here: https://micronauts.wixsite.com/mysit...r-megas-purple

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

These come to mind.

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
            what was the most you've ever paid for it?
            Don't wanna talk about it.

Was your wife or girlfriend upset you spend that much?
            Girlfriend was cool with it. The Wife, not so much.

Do you still have it proudly displayed?
            Is the Pope Catholic?

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

I paid the original price for the recent Super 7 MOTUC Snake Mountain... I was very fortunate to be able to buy it... I still had to force myself to pull the trigger and I kept telling myself that it was a crazy amount to spend... but that because of what item it was (as far as "dearness to my heart") that it was an important item... and still, I can't believe I own it.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I totally spaced the MOTUC Castle Grayskull. I think that was around $300.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• shaunaconda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Mar 29, 2020

I’ve spent over $500 on some boxed Shogun Warrior figures.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I spent $300 on an AA Talking AT Commander.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

JB, I think you need an Ohio curator for the Lincoln Phantom and Kidd box.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

$1600 on an unpunched MOC Super Powers Cyborg. Then I opened it.

I was able to sell the empty card and bubble for $350 so it worked out OK. He's beautiful. Totally worth it.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 27, 2010

I recently paid $300 for a 12 inch Johnny Sokko flying Robo. First,it's a great piece and have it displayed next to a 12 inch vinyl Ultraman. Toys of him are very rare so no regrets buying it. There's something upcoming I have on pre-order which is more of a vinyl statue is The Kraken from Clash of the Titans. that will be about 400 dollars.( from BBTS) and lastly I paid about 300 dollars for a mego type of the greatest american hero which was some con exclusive. I don't remember if i bought that through here or ebay.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            $1600 on an unpunched MOC Super Powers Cyborg. Then I opened it.

I was able to sell the empty card and bubble for $350 so it worked out OK. He's beautiful. Totally worth it.

I would expect nothing less considering the other things you opened.

Still with his chrome finish it would be hard to find a loose, mint example.

Comment

• J.B.
                              Guild Navigator
                              • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                              I recently paid $300 for a 12 inch Johnny Sokko flying Robo. First,it's a great piece and have it displayed next to a 12 inch vinyl Ultraman. Toys of him are very rare so no regrets buying it.
                              Loves me some Giant Robo. What did you get? Pics?
                              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎