X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Are Sizzler's still around ?

The only one in my driving distance burned down in the mid 90's and never seen another one since

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

Ah! Yes!, York Steak House!
      -------

I also miss restaurants that are partially set up like a cafeteria, and I get to slide the little plastic tray along the metal rod line, getting silverware and things.

Trays come in handy, modern buffets don't have them and they are missing out, and sometime the dinner plates are almost at boiling water temperature, so they also miss out on the practical benefits of walking around with a nice rectangular tray, for balance and protection from heat.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Back in the day we had 2 York Steakhouses near by, we also had a place called Red Coach Grill in my town.
        Any Howard Johnson’s still around?

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Just had a flashback …

I used to love Shoney's breakfast buffet

Was the first time I ever tried (and loved from then on) biscuits and gravy

I've heard some bad things about them recently but I still wish I had one in driving distance.

Closest one to me today (according to Google) is in Richmond, Virginia …….. A bit of a hike for biscuits and gravy --but not totally undoable
          Last edited by Mikey; May 19, '21, 9:31 PM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

I do miss Steak And Ale. It was the last date I had with my high school boyfriend before I went into the Navy. The place had booths set up for dates. We got one order steaks and began kissing. This was 1989 in Houston, 2hrs away from home so we felt comfortable enough to feel like straight couples. We did notice several of the works would walk by and giggle. We did not care, nobody knew us. That was a great time.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

We miss Baja Fresh & Pei Wei in central Ohio, though we've found both while on vacation. Don Pablo's & Cooker Bar & Grille are permanently gone. Harvest House cafeteria (attached to some Woolworth's) has been gone for a long time.

On the positive side we do have a few Big Boys in central OH, so Mikey can get his hookup at the Meet in '22.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Duncan

On the positive side we do have a few Big Boys in central OH, so Mikey can get his hookup at the Meet in '22.
                Very tempting ……

Just had another obscure craving ….

Anybody else remember Dog 'n Suds ?

Back in the 70's they came to my one-horse town and built a beautiful restaurant

Their hotdogs were decent --- still couldn't beat our local hotdog vender "Hot Dog Johnnie's"

Today, Hot Dog Johnnie is still pumping out delicious hotdogs and buttermilk to Pocono tourists and residents but unfortunately Dog 'n Suds went the way of the Dodo

Anybody else remember Dog 'n Suds ???

Comment

• silveralex
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 22, 2012

Miss having an Arthur Treacher's near me
                  Also, (and I know they were only around for a short while) - McDonald's Steak Sandwiches. (may be childhood nostalgia, but I recall liking them)

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by silveralex
                    --------------- McDonald's Steak Sandwiches. (may be childhood nostalgia, but I recall liking them)
                    Are you talking about McDonald's Breakfast Steak Bagels from the 1990's ?

Man, when they first rolled out they were the tastiest and hardiest breakfast food ever …

Unfortunately after about 2 years they became the worst grizzled sandwich a person could ever buy.

It's like how could a huge chain like Mickey-D's think they can "Art Metrano" us into buying a piece of sh_t knock-off ?

Orchestra --- begin Metrano's theme

Comment

• silveralex
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 22, 2012

I didn't mean the bagels, though I do remember those being awesome too.

I meant this thing:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdtzyZ62mM

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Very tempting ……

Back in the 70's they came to my one-horse town and built a beautiful restaurant

Their hotdogs were decent --- still couldn't beat our local hotdog vender "Hot Dog Johnnie's"

Today, Hot Dog Johnnie is still pumping out delicious hotdogs and buttermilk to Pocono tourists and residents but unfortunately Dog 'n Suds went the way of the Dodo

The only way I've heard of them is with their soda that Runnings sells.

Comment

• mike69
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • May 4, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
                          Very tempting ……

There's still a Dog n Suds in Lorain Ohio. It's only open in the summer as it still a drive in. I believe it's about to open Memorial day weekend. They have the best root beer!!! They still have hot dogs and their famous Texas burger!

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by mike69
                            There's still a Dog n Suds in Lorain Ohio. It's only open in the summer as it still a drive in. I believe it's about to open Memorial day weekend. They have the best root beer!!! They still have hot dogs and their famous Texas burger!
                            Dang, i'm super-tempted !!!

Home-made Root Beer and dogs ??? (not to mention a Texas burger I haven't heard of until now)…

You Gents are killing me

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎