Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU Revelations Netflix series first look.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

MOTU: Revelation, Part 2 trailer:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

That seemed to give a lot away just to asauge fears of those who lost their minds at the end of Part One.

I enjoyed the first run myself. I'm in.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Looks fine. I did like that it showed Adam is the true wielder of the power of Grayskull, sword or not.

Part 1 had some issues but it didn't deserve the hate it got. It was too dark for my tastes and Teela was out of character. Way too self pitying and self absorbed. The Filmation Teela would have at least tried to comfort the Queen. King Randor banishing Duncan and threatening to have him arrested was also a bit much. Another thing it got wrong is something that that tends to get overlooked. He-Man doesn't kill. The whole mess was started by Adam stabbing Skeletor. But again the hate the show got from the rage merchants and their followers was way out of proportion.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

The whole show was basically "we're taking your childhood show and cranking everything up to 11" which included tons of melodrama, hence the overreaction of Teela, Randor, etc. And the violence...without going TOO dark to market a toyline. My whole family enjoyed it, and my 19 year old son LOVED it. He remembered playing with my old figures, and watching my "Best of" DVD enough to remember the property, and be ready for an update.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

New episodes dropped today. I watched the first two episodes on my lunch break and enjoyed them...except for one joke that HAD to be from Kevin Smith. Dude, grow up.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              New episodes dropped today. I watched the first two episodes on my lunch break and enjoyed them...except for one joke that HAD to be from Kevin Smith. Dude, grow up.

Chris
              I've been reading the spoilers online. Part 2, same as part 1, is too grim dark and joyless for my tastes. They made Skeletor way too repulsive, abusive and vile. He isn't the fun character from the Filmation series, he is Hamill's Joker. Twisted, sadistic and grotesque. The Filmation Skeletor became such a great and iconic villain because of Alan Oppenheimer fantastic portrayal. His Skeletor could be funny, likable and also genuinely scary at times. A terrific character.

About the ending, I hope they don't get to She-Ra I don't want to see a hulked out version of her.

And yeah I heard they went to that painfully unfunny Fisto meme. I had hoped that wasn't true.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

And yeah I heard they went to that painfully unfunny Fisto meme. I had hoped that wasn't true.
                He went there. My 20 year old son asked "Why did they do that?". I told him it's because Kevin Smith has the mind of a 12 year old. I like some of his stuff, and but geez dude, let the scat and sex humor go when working on obstensibly a kids property.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Okay, the animation is very good and the music is great. The writers really know their MOTU lore and history. It also has some nice emotional moments. It's well done for what it is. There was obviously some real effort put into it. It's also way too dark and taken to much darker places than the property should ever go.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i was surprised by the sexual nature they took EviLynn and Skeletor to. I guess i shouldn't be as it is Kevin Smith, but geeze, i had been watching the first half of the season with my 5 year old nephew. he doesn't need to see stuff like that

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

I binge watched the entire series in one day.

My thoughts? Kevin Smith couldn't write a grocery list without screwing it up. SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW...STOP READING NOW if you don't want to know!

Where to begin? Well, at the beginning. The very first episode has characters acting so OUT of character as to be laughable.
                      The overreactions of everyone to the death of Adam showed the writers lack of ability. Randor says early on he hopes to one day be proud of his son, but after finding out his son sacrificed himself to save the entire planet, instead of recognizing his courage and heroism, he explodes into a rage and threatens to have Duncan executed. A true King would NEVER react like that. Nor would Teela. It was all ridiculous.

The second episode introduces Andra, a truly pointless and unnecessary character. It would have been FAR more interesting to have Teela team up with another of the now out-of-work Masters we never got to see. A missed opportunity to delve into the character of someone like Man-E-Faces, who was completely absent from the series. Or better yet, how about another black character, Melaktha? Surely the Eternian archaeologist would be useful in hunting antiquities?
                      The second episode also gave us a tasteless condom joke from Andra. Her comment "No glove, no love." was shockingly out of place and did not belong ANYWHERE in a MOTU cartoon.
                      Another second episode change that was completely unnecessary was giving so many characters costume changes. Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Mer-Man...all sport new looks, and none of them are good.
                      It made no sense to do it, and there's nothing I dislike more than change simply for the sake of change.

I found the Cult of Motherboard interesting, but it was never really explained, nor explored. Seemed like another missed opportunity, but the second half of the series hints at more, so we'll see.
                      Either way, it also seemed out of place.
                      After Teela and Andra make their way back to Grayskull, Teela continues to be a whiny little narcissist. Even after the Sorceress tells her that basically all life as they know it will come to an end,
                      she needs a ridiculous pep talk from Andra to get her act together. THIS is the woman who was Captain of the Guards and new Man-at-Arms??

So, Evil-Lyn joins the girls and they eventually meet up with Duncan and Orko, then the gang sets off for Heaven and Hell. The Preternia bit was OK...still not accepting the race swapped King Grayskull. I've made known my opinions on this kind of pandering before. I don't like it, and don't agree with it. They could have used Zodak instead. Would have been nice to see him again. They actually did Scareglow justice. He was the highlight of Part 1 for me. Unfortunately, he kills Orko. More on that later.

As Part 1 draws to a close, Adam comes back from the dead, Skeletor was hiding inside Evil-Lyn's wand all along, and before Adam can become He-Man again, Skeletor stabs him and becomes Skelegod. Just like that. No real build-up here, it just happens, and is pretty anti-climactic to be honest. Skeletor's victory isn't earned. It just happens, and was clearly done just to have a Part 1 cliffhanger.

Now on to Part 2. This had to be the most convoluted, inept trainwreck of writing I've ever witnessed. The writers clearly have NO idea how the "Power of Grayskull" works, so they were literally just making stuff up, and then contradicting what they had JUST WRITTEN moments later. He-Man is the Hulk. Skeletor is Skelegod, Evil-Lyn is the new Sorceress, and she's more powerful than Skelegod, but she needs him to give up his power willingly so she can "jump his bones" YES, THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS. But she can just take his power any time she wants, and give to anyone, except when she can't cause Adam is the spark, so the Power Sword doesn't really do much, and Evil-Lyn turns good, except when she takes PED's to become Super-Sorceress, then she gets even MORE evil, cause her own parents tried to eat her. YES, THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS TOO. Are you confused yet? Yeah, so was I. I'm pretty sure I could have written better fan fiction than this when I was in grade school.

Aside from all that "Power of Grayskull" nonsense, everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE cries at some point. Teela eventually becomes the NEW Sorceress, even though Evil-Lyn is still the Super-Sorceress, so I guess there can be two at once? Huh? He-Man, (remember him?) eventually comes back and turns Skeletor into Skelegod again. Huh? How does he do that? Don't ask me. I watched it twice and I still can't figure it out. Since Skeletor isn't He-Man's uncle in this version, it seems anyone can hold the Power Sword aloft and transform, so how/why is Adam special again? Oh, I don't know...my head hurts. Scareglow shows up along with Super-Orko, Beastman gets turned into a dog, Evil-Lyn loses and becomes good again and gets a new outfit, and Andra outfights everyone and becomes the new Man-at-Arms.
                      There was one REALLY cool scene with Scareglow fighting Randor, and that was the highlight of Part 2 for me. Oh, and Super-Orko dies again.

Thus ends the mess that is Revelation.
                      Last edited by enyawd72; Nov 25, '21, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, Evil-Lyn seductively climbing on Skeletor's lap was quite... unexpected.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎