Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU Revelations Netflix series first look.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

The pictures of the new Masters of the Universe, on Twitter, look fantastic.

I think the new series will be pretty good.

I've realized that it is the nature of these things that the style and content will change, when making something of a previous invention, but have to add something new for it to be slightly different, and effective as a storytelling device.

Many things might not make sense, or is of what the viewer would prefer, but it could still be solid on it's own, and have an adventure move forward.

There is never a way to have all the original people on board, so something new will always be different, and it just depends on if the viewer likes what directions they take the series.

Even in fan-fiction, I don't think anyone could come up with something exactly like the original cartoon series, there will always be variations of this and that, and personal taste and viewpoint of the creator, in that not everyone sees the same thing when they watch something, t is all received differently, and from different ages, and from different backgrounds, and from standpoints of what the viewer is used to, what they have to compare it with, their interpretations, and how the franchise effects their senses.

Speed Racer is one cartoon that might not be for children today, in this decade.

Robotech perhaps had more of an advanced serious feel that some of the shows mentioned.

I guess He-Man could have went a lot darker, looking at one of the prototype toys in The Toys That Made Us, it seems to me that their them became less dark and way more silly, as soon as they gave the action figures bent legs to ride the animals and vehicles.

And the accessories themselves appeared more light hearted, and perhaps symbolic, when they gave different equipment to different characters.

It's not like the gave someone a blood soaked battle axe, and He-Man's sword is even more of Fantasy instead of a practical blade, or a historical one, the gear never really could hurt the other characters, there was no threat to them, and the vehicles looked very playful and inventive, rather than scary and threatening.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I might adore Oppenheimer's Skeletor, but Filmation MOTU was never really MOTU to me. I was influenced more by the comics, and I collected the original line as a teen.

For me, the first few years were magical. I felt some of the later characters were strained.

That said, I don't want a dark, gritty, graphic MOTU. But I'm not sure Smith's participation guarantees that. He did a great job tonally with Batman'66 Meets the Green Hornet. And the story elements he mentions in the interview are not antithetical per se. I liked the 2002 series as a variant and may well like this, too. I'm not a Smith fan, but I'm willing to give this a try.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; May 13, '21, 6:14 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Is this the 2002 MOTU??

I sorry but this looks more like the 2002 MOTU that the original:

2002 prince adam.jpgMOTU-REV-101_08_LAYERED.jpg

2002 otu.jpgMastersoftheUniverse_Revelation_Part1_Episode3_00_18_50_06.jpg
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I like some of those character designs from the new show very much, others less so.

My favourite MOTU incarnation was the one I first encountered as a kid... those early mini-storybooks that came with the first figures. Wandering barbarian He-Man, green sorceress, two halves of the Power Sword, etc.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
            I particularly like the Shazam!-esque transition of Prince Adam to He-Man.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Motu is kind of my thing. I've read those mini comics dozens and dozens of times. The art style might give the perception of or felt of a darker story but it's really not there. Also the wandering barbarian He-Man only lasts the first 4 mini comics. The first four (He-Man and the Power Sword, King of Castle Grayskull, Battle in the Clouds and The Vengeance of Skeletor) are actually more mini children's story books. MOTU certainly seemed more mysterious back then because everything was new and so little of story was known or fleshed out. By the time the DC mini series came out Prince Adam and Cringer had already replaced the wandering barbarian long before Filmation.
              I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to argue with you about MOTU, because you know way more about it, and how it's evolved since 1986 than I ever will, and I've learned a lot from things you posted. But it meant a lot to me as a kid, and I was really into it, perhaps the first thing I ever "branched out" into outside of standard super-hero fare at a deep level (for a 7 year old). I really did feel that switch from the "edgier" early mini-comics to the Filmation direction. Now, was there as much of a change as I perceived at the time? Probably not, but I was aware they were changing the tone of things at least a little, along with swerving the story in other directions. 7 to 11-year old me still holds to those feelings, whether they are truly historically accurate or not, because he was in the moment, and he could see the brand changing around him, both for better and for perhaps slightly worse in some instances.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to argue
                I didn't think you were arguing and I hope I didn't come off that way either.

I was agreeing the original mini comics made everything seem more mysterious or spookier. I just worded it not the greatest.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                  I hope it's good but my feeling is it's going to really bad. I think the designs will start out more classic and then get radically changed judging from the pics of Teela they've shown. It also sounds pretty dark from what they've revealed. Sounds like Adam loses the power sword and He-Man's secret identity is revealed hurting those not in on the secret, like Teela. Everything goes to hell and most of the story is Teela and her band of grim dark rebels trying to regain the power sword from god Skeletor. Hardly the continuation to the Filmation series fans have been hoping for.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; May 15, '21, 11:29 AM. Reason: typos
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    I hope it's good but my feeling is it's going to really bad. I think the designs will start out more classic and then get radically changed judging from the pics of Teela they've shown. It also sounds pretty dark from what they've revealed. Sounds like Adam loses the power sword and He-Man's secret identity is revealed hurting those not in on the secret, like Teela. Everything goes to hell and most of the story is Teela and her band of grim dark rebels trying to regain the power sword from god Skeletor. Hardly the continuation to the Filmation series fans have been hoping for.
                    What's funny is, is that if you dig deeper you start to realize how many of the big franchises relate to MOTU either with how many times we've been through this with those other franchises... or with how the similarities shared between the franchises predict that not everyone will be fully satisfied and the conflicts will always be there.

As far as MOTU/Star Wars goes...

Fans were angry that The Force Awakens was a continuation that began by putting the heroes in a more oppressed place than they were than where we left them (in the original trilogy)... but some fans argued that if they weren't in that bad place, then how would they look like underdog heroes trying to battle the big bad guys. Seems to be the same debate lining up for Revelations.

As far as MOTU/Superman ("The Motion Picture" specifically in this instance) goes...

The original MOTU series bible that Filmation used to base the show off of had no comedy in it... it might not have even had Adam in it, if I remember correctly... Adam was inserted because of the DC MOTU which had world-builded in actual publicly consumed media... but regardless... MOTU was not inherently inhabited by comedic stuff/buffoonish villains. It was just something that was unique to Filmation's stylistic approach. I mean, look at Orko... he's a New Adventures Of Batman Batmite clone.

It brings to mind Puzo's treatment for Superman: The Motion Picture and Superman II (both of which were included in the same treatment).

Despite Hackman's (and Beatty's and Perrine's) goofball antics, and despite many of the gags that made it into the original cut of Superman II, that was not an inherently funny treatment... quite serious actually.

And Richard Donner worked hard to stick to that more realism-based mindset for the first two Superman films.

But just like Filmation, the film's producers and all who worked with them (the director who replaced Donner during Superman II's production & the new script writers) pushed the actual release into a more satirical direction that landed almost full satire in Superman III (Superman IV was not made by the same producers).

Just some food for thought!
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Adam and Cringer were in the Filmation story bible from the start. Same with Gorpo/Orko.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Did Mattel initially create those characters as MOTU was retooled and expanded from the Conan line?

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          Adam and Cringer were in the Filmation story bible from the start. Same with Gorpo/Orko.
                          I don't remember them being in it... but I don't doubt that you could be right... I'm not trying be a jerk or anything, but are we referring to the same Halpiern document?

If so, if it isn't too much trouble, can you show me where they are mentioned... it would be helpful, because them being in this specific series bible would change my MOTU perspective a bit... and that would be cool considering how into it I am.

Here's the link: https://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclu...le-intro.shtml

EDITING TO ADD: It's Gorpo/Orko that I'm particularly interested about, as it seems that some form of Adam/Cringer were in there already.
                          Last edited by huedell; May 15, '21, 4:29 PM.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Adam, Cringer and Gorpo are in the Halperin story bible.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Did Mattel initially create those characters as MOTU was retooled and expanded from the Conan line?
                              Nothing from MOTU was carried over from the cancelled proposed Conan line. Which didn't get further than a few sketches. Development of MOTU also predates their Conan proposal.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I'm also curious if Adam, Cringer, Orko, and the Sorceress revision were instigated by Mattel or by Filmation. If by Mattel, why the shift in mythology from the early comics?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎