Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU Revelations Netflix series first look.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

MOTU Revelations Netflix series first look.

I have concerns.

MOTU is the anti-grim dark. It's Flash Gordon mixed with Tarzan and sword and sorcery in a light hearted fun kid friendly package. There are places it should not go and I'm not sure Kevin Smith is the right person for the property.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • mego
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 16, 2012

Just an opinion, but It’s gotta be better than the original!
    I’ve started watching the original series with my little one. He loves it, but I’m really reminded of how poor the original really was. Great characters, super cool environment but flushed out with generic stories and subpar writing. None of that bothered me when I was 8 years old, but not even nostalgia could cloud the pedestrian nature of the original show to my adult brain. Maybe the new show will be closer to the original mini comics?

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by mego
      but not even nostalgia could cloud the pedestrian nature of the original show to my adult brain. Maybe the new show will be closer to the original mini comics?
      I think we sometimes forget the show and property was not aimed at adult brains and the mini comics were far from grim dark. Even the earliest ones were very kid safe. MOTU was never Game of Thrones.

First look at the toys.

Mattel has sent out a press release with details and lots of new photos for their upcoming figures based on Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe show for Netflix. Part of the "Masterverse" line of figures, the Masters of the Universe: Revelation figures features all-new 7" scale designs with about 30 points of articulation. The...
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I honestly didn't get anything from that article that really sat off alarm bells. But, I have mixed feelings on Smith in general. I think he legitimately loves all of this stuff, but his insistence on relying on never-ending vulgarities on his podcast make me unable to listen to it. I get it, bodily fluid jokes are funny. I still laugh at them...sometimes. But I don't need them peppered in every third word. The whole "Batman has a bladder spasm on his first night on the job thing" still rings in my ears to this day. What was the point of that?

I do like the Netflix exec's order to "make this like Shakespeare". THAT'S how my friends and I played MOTU. It was all serious high adventure to us. Sure, there was room for a bit of comedy...but only a bit. That's why after a while, and as we got older, the Filmation show seemed to file the teeth of Grayskull down just a little TOO much for us. Now, I don't want blood, guts, cursing, etc. I want kids to be able to watch this, but if I can get a MOTU series like the the classic DCAU/Timmverse, I'm all in.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I think people unfairly mock and criticize the Filmation toon. It honestly wasn't any sillier than GI JOE, Fatal Fluffies anyone? Not to mention red and blue laser beams flying everywhere and no one ever getting shot. I'm not saying that as an insult to the GI JOE cartoon. I freakin' love it. I love it because of all the silliness and crazy Cobra Commander schemes. I think we just tend to forget the culture at the time and age groups these properties were aimed at.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

I'll give it a chance. Not a fan of the modern style of cartoons these days and don't expect to like it, but hey.....I'll give it a chance with an open mind unless i read something that makes the Bells go off.

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the heads up.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I think people unfairly mock and criticize the Filmation toon. It honestly wasn't any sillier than GI JOE, Fatal Fluffies anyone? Not to mention red and blue laser beams flying everywhere and no one ever getting shot. I'm not saying that as an insult to the GI JOE cartoon. I freakin' love it. I love it because of all the silliness and crazy Cobra Commander schemes. I think we just tend to forget the culture at the time and age groups these properties were aimed at.
              You're right. I see there is very little difference in tone now, as an adult. But for whatever reason, when we were kids, the Filmation stuff just felt like it was aimed at a younger audience, than say G.I. Joe, Transfomers or even MASK. Thundercats looked awesome, but Snarf brought things down similarly. Maybe it's because we had grown up with that swirling Norm Prescott/Lou Schemimer wheel on tons of kiddie-fare, and even "educational" stuff like Fat Albert, so it seemed "safe". Whereas the Joe and Transformers toons were "made by Marvel" so they seemed edgier to us.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but fondness for the Filmation toon. I still loved it at the time, but I felt I had grown past it, before I felt the same about contemporary shows, for whatever reason.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

There's always been a small but vocal faction of MOTU fans that have wanted a gory violent grimdark MOTU. I don't get that mind set at all. This is a property that is supposed to be light hearted. You have characters named Buzz-Off, Two Bad, Stinkor, etc. You have people dressed in Hyborian age clothes and armor flying spacecrafts. Embrace the joy, fun and ridiculousness of it all. Skeletor is kid friendly super villain evil not realistic psychopath evil. It is not Game of Thrones and should never be taken there. People will also bring up the mini comics say they were dark and gritty. I have them, they weren't.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

He-Man was significantly sillier than GI Joe. That's not to say GI Joe didn't have silly episodes, but the Filmation MOTU was non-stop silly every episode. Even when they had a concept that might be interesting or engaging, the slightest bit of darkness, they quickly cut to something silly to offset it.

The mini comics were significantly darker than the stuff the followed, especially the early ones before the more cornball characters came along. But even then they often were considerably more adult in tone than the cartoons. The mini comics and early MOTU artwork evoked the style and tone of more violent sword and sorcery concepts of the 70s, even if they didn't directly get as violent. It was easier to see the correlation to those than it was to the buffoonery of the Filmation cartoon.

You can be more serious without needing decapitation and bloodshed, just like you can be more fun without relying on childish humor.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 28, 2008

I feel like the original mini-comics were more mature but not necessarily darker, if that makes any sense. He-Man was a wandering barbarian who is first seen slinging boulders around. They had an art style that was closer to realistic in depicting Eternia, and something seemed "edgier" in the way the characters were drawn, but the whole thing was, of course, fantasy. The earlier mini-comics fit with the Conan aesthetic in many ways, and then when the moved to the "Cringer is a cowardly feline who becomes Battle-Cat," that skews more to silly. As Werewolf says above, it was always fun, but something to me about the stories as I think of Filmation was lighter (Orko had a major impact on that), and that becomes to many "younger" or more kid-friendly. I think GI Joe seems more grounded because it's closer to a contemporary design, but it had plenty of its own unbelievable elements. I think it's kind of like the original Captain Marvel--the Golden Age stories had whimsy and could be quite silly (even though some stories in that era are still serious), but attempts to duplicate that come off as goofy and childish more than childlike.
                    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                      He-Man was significantly sillier than GI Joe. That's not to say GI Joe didn't have silly episodes, but the Filmation MOTU was non-stop silly every episode. Even when they had a concept that might be interesting or engaging, the slightest bit of darkness, they quickly cut to something silly to offset it.

The mini comics were significantly darker than the stuff the followed, especially the early ones before the more cornball characters came along. But even then they often were considerably more adult in tone than the cartoons. The mini comics and early MOTU artwork evoked the style and tone of more violent sword and sorcery concepts of the 70s, even if they didn't directly get as violent. It was easier to see the correlation to those than it was to the buffoonery of the Filmation cartoon.

You can be more serious without needing decapitation and bloodshed, just like you can be more fun without relying on childish humor.
                      I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. And I will add that this artwork from the Kevin Smith show, while stylistically different, reminds me a lot of that more grown up, more "epic" feel of the original artwork and mini-comics.

Since Chris made the comparison to Transformers, I view it as the difference between Transformers (the TV cartoon) vs. Transformers: the Movie. Both are kid friendly. Neither are Game of Thrones. But the movie took itself seriously, and it was awesome! (I mean, I haven't seen it since it was in theaters... it may be crap... but to an 11 year old me, it was awesome! The movie felt "more adult" while the TV show always felt like a kid's show.)

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Transformers was it's own beast. The people that worked on admitted they got away with murder with the censors because their characters were robots and not considered alive. Even with the high death count Transformers the movie has it was still only going to be rated G until they added Spike saying one swear word. Which they added to get a PG rating and avoid the dreaded kiddie matinees. MOTU could never get away with the stuff Transformers did. It was under constant fire from parent and religious groups for claims of violence and the occult as it was.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

I thought this was to be the extension to the original version not the remake.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I will add that the early MOTU stuff felt legitimately more mature than what followed. I was only 7 when MOTU hit, and I felt like I was getting into something that was a bit above my head...and I loved it. The Alcala art in the mini comics was what you'd see in the Marvel Conan magazines I would sneak peeks at. The villains, despite having pretty broad, goofy names, looked scary. Castle Grayskull's box scared the beejeezus out of me! The actual look of the Filmation show kept a lot of this, but the writing and voice direction skewed it toward a lighter presentation. And it was probably really smart to do so, because it spread the appeal of the line to a larger age demographic. By the time the Filmation series debuted, I had encountered the Prince Adam concept in the free preview in DC Comics, and I was totally on board.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I will add that the early MOTU stuff felt legitimately more mature than what followed.
                              Motu is kind of my thing. I've read those mini comics dozens and dozens of times. The art style might give the perception of or felt of a darker story but it's really not there. Also the wandering barbarian He-Man only lasts the first 4 mini comics. The first four (He-Man and the Power Sword, King of Castle Grayskull, Battle in the Clouds and The Vengeance of Skeletor) are actually more mini children's story books. MOTU certainly seemed more mysterious back then because everything was new and so little of story was known or fleshed out. By the time the DC mini series came out Prince Adam and Cringer had already replaced the wandering barbarian long before Filmation.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎