• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

Mego Knight Question...

Hi Mego Mates,

I recently got a bitten by the Mego/FTC World's Greatest Super Knights collection bug...now I have to have them all...LOL! So, I'm buying the FTC versions, but I'm also making a custom Guinevere, (maybe a couple more knights) and now I'm thinking about Merlin.

How do you think Mego would have approached Merlin? Do you think they would have reused a head from another figure? I'm thinking of possibly reusing the purple robe from the Space: 1999 Mysterious Alien (I have a couple extra of them, but not sure yet). Not sure about the head or shoes (maybe King Arthur shoes in another color), belt, wand or staff, dagger or maybe a sword, hat or hood, and maybe he should have tights underneath too, etc...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best,

Dana
    Last edited by danadoll; May 8, '21, 1:09 PM.
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I've thought about this A LOT. Personally, I would use Blackbeard, with light gray hair and beard. I picture black knight shoes, maybe with black tights. I think the Alien robe is a good ready-made solution for a costume. Add a staff. I considered Little John, but he seems too young and cheerful.

I like a druidic look for Merlin. If I was able to do a custom costume, I'd do the black shoes and tights with a sleeveless, belted gray under-robe and a dark blue, open over-robe with full sleeves and hood.

I was thinking about doing Morgan Le Fay with a brunette Invisible Girl head and Mego Endora costume, add a belt and Ivy shoes

I've already done Mordred, homage to Roddy McDowall.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I think Mego might have done a conical hat, but I don't like that.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• danadoll
        Micronaut Nut!
        • Apr 11, 2005

Black Beard is a very good suggestion for a head, he looks a bit wild/crazy too...which I like. A Morgan Le Fay is also a good idea, I had given her some thought, and Mordred too (I wasn't sure how to approach him, though). I know in the Excalibur movie, he had like a golden god-like armor, but I think I'd go with something more king-like and regal, like royal red cape and tabbard, helmet with crown, with the silver armor bodysuit underneath, and some other armor pieces? Idk...

For Merlin, I also have an extra brown robe from Captain Zantor from the FTC Space: 1999 line, so that's another option.

Thanks for the suggestions, PNGwynne. I'd love to see your Mordred.

Best,

Dana

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I've thought about this A LOT. Personally, I would use Blackbeard, with light gray hair and beard. I picture black knight shoes, maybe with black tights. I think the Alien robe is a good ready-made solution for a costume. Add a staff. I considered Little John, but he seems too young and cheerful.

I like a druidic look for Merlin. If I was able to do a custom costume, I'd do the black shoes and tights with a sleeveless, belted gray under-robe and a dark blue, open over-robe with full sleeves and hood.

I was thinking about doing Morgan Le Fay with a brunette Invisible Girl head and Mego Endora costume, add a belt and Ivy shoes

I've already done Mordred, homage to Roddy McDowall.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome.

I will PM you my Mordred recipe. Seven Deadly Virtues!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I like the idea of the purple robe as a starter, but with Arthur also being in purple that would be too much purple for me. I'd try to dye the robe blue just for a contrast.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That's a good point. If you consider Merry Men, the colors are varied.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

If I were a betting man, I'd wager Mego's Merlin would have had a look like this, but with a more random placement of the moons and stars on his robe and a tighter beard (sculpted/painted on) -- then again, they seemed to go all in on the Knights line, so maybe a rooted beard after all . . .

merlin.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I agree about the costume, though not the rooted beard.

I bought a Space 1999 Companion head for Merlin but wasn't thrilled with it.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; May 10, '21, 4:31 PM.

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I agree about the costume, though not the rooted beard.
                    Oh, I'd prefer the painted beard. I'm just thinking someone in charge at Mego might have wanted to try out a long beard look, and they seemed to throw a little more $$ at the knights line than others, so they may have experimented if they'd done the character.

Comment

• silveralex
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 22, 2012

I was just getting into Super Knights also. They don't seem to be on the FTC or CTVT sites anymore. Did they stop selling them? (Maybe they still sell the heads, clothing to put them together? I would have replaced the bodies anyway)

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

My ideas, so far...

Brown robe Merlin (with lighter brown tights underneath)...
                        20210528_155943.jpg

OR...Brown robe Merlin with green bodysuit underneath?...
                        20210528_160707.jpg

I'm not digging the idea of the purple robe now...LOL!...
                        20210528_160958.jpg

I think I'm going with a mustachioed (black-haired) Galahad head, for a Sir Gawain custom (he is Galahad's brother, after all...edit: Oops, nevermind, I misremembered that bit, Galahad is Lancelot's son and Gawain is Arthur's nephew).
                        20210528_162620.jpg

Dana
                        Last edited by danadoll; May 28, '21, 4:23 PM.

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

No input on Merlin? Bah! I say..Bah! LOL! I'm kind of digging the brown and green combo, so far.

Here's where I've gone so far with Morgan Le Fay, not sure if it's where I want to go yet, but I thought Mego may have reused the OZ witch dress (from the recent Mego OZ Witch) and just added a bit to it (I used the Mego Endora purple sparkle vest, a purple scarf belt from FTC, some jewelry from a Go-Go's doll, black repro witch shoes, and black tights under the dress)...
                          20210614_213002.jpg
                          Last edited by danadoll; Jul 30, '21, 7:45 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Brown and green is not bad, though you might use a darker green or Mego Cornelius tights. Is that a Zantor robe--it's good. Add a belt?

I think the problem with a purple robe is that Arthur's costume is also purple.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 14, '21, 9:23 PM.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                              Persistent Member
                              • Oct 3, 2007

I made a Merlin years ago. I had the Uncle Sam action figure (Forgot who made him) and used its head. The sculpt had a good beard to it. I added Figures toys Brown Druid robe, Brown Robin type shoes and Their version of the Witch hat. (Yep! it was a total rob of LOTR Gandalf from the animated movie.) For an accessory I added an old plastic black paint brush with a plastic gem glued at the fat end.

At the time, I had bought the FTC Knights Boxed. So that was the inspiration for Merlin. Sadly I sold the knights and disassemble Merl cause The Uncle Sam figure jumped in price on Greedbay and I was in need of $$$$
                              Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                              MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎