X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1975 big jim wolf pack comic-mattel-marvel

In 1976, Mattel toys decided to add a comic book with the BIG JIM Wolf Pack Commander figure to explain the mission of the PACK and promote upcoming toys. Most of the boxes had comics on the back that were functional but this comic is drawn by I believe John Buscema and it is the […]

More...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I think the Gold Commander Box must have broken a world record in its day for holding the most content in the smallest possible container. This was during that period when Mattel unloaded a slew of Olympic Gold Big Jims in a similar scaled box. But what really perplexes me is why I have no memories of a commercial on television for the P.A.C.K.. I remember the Dr. Steel commercial well because I flipped when I saw that (and received him for Christmas that same year). But that was when he was part of the All Star series and not yet rebranded. Everything associated with the P.A.C.K. was in print form. Brian are my memories betraying me or did Mattel never consider putting together a television promotion after they went to such great lengths to let kids know about this in comic ads and with the new packaging? And I agree, that is John Buscema artwork in the comic book. I initially thought it was his brother Sal, since they shared similar styles, but upon closer inspection that's definitely John's work. He also did the packaging art for Torpedo Fist, Zorak, and Double Trouble. Jack Kirby covered the rest. And what beautiful covers they are! Still have a few pieces to go to finish out my Gold Commander.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by MIB41
      I think the Gold Commander Box must have broken a world record in its day for holding the most content in the smallest possible container. This was during that period when Mattel unloaded a slew of Olympic Gold Big Jims in a similar scaled box. But what really perplexes me is why I have no memories of a commercial on television for the P.A.C.K.. I remember the Dr. Steel commercial well because I flipped when I saw that (and received him for Christmas that same year). But that was when he was part of the All Star series and not yet rebranded. Everything associated with the P.A.C.K. was in print form. Brian are my memories betraying me or did Mattel never consider putting together a television promotion after they went to such great lengths to let kids know about this in comic ads and with the new packaging? And I agree, that is John Buscema artwork in the comic book. I initially thought it was his brother Sal, since they shared similar styles, but upon closer inspection that's definitely John's work. He also did the packaging art for Torpedo Fist, Zorak, and Double Trouble. Jack Kirby covered the rest. And what beautiful covers they are! Still have a few pieces to go to finish out my Gold Commander.

killer piece sir

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
        killer piece sir
        Thanks so much. For me, Big Jim is one of the lost treasures out there. If it wasn't for Brian being as passionate as he is and creating some of the best video and graphic retrospectives available, the public would have virtually no historical reference. I'm always pumped to talk about him. I don't have the P.A.C.K. comic, so its wonderful to see these closeup references.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by MIB41
          Thanks so much. For me, Big Jim is one of the lost treasures out there. If it wasn't for Brian being as passionate as he is and creating some of the best video and graphic retrospectives available, the public would have virtually no historical reference. I'm always pumped to talk about him. I don't have the P.A.C.K. comic, so its wonderful to see these closeup references.
          you lnow you are right of it wasnt for Palitoy talking and making videos on youtube this would be a forgotten toy line maybe not the Sports Big JIm line but for sure the PACK

Comment

• VintageJoe70
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 12, 2016

I was never as big a fan of the Gold Commander as I was the one in the white pants...
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎