X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1966 Gilbert Toys Catalog- James Bond-Man From U.N.C.L.E-Honey West

In the late 1960s, toymaker Gilbert (known for Erector Sets) was one of the leading action figure producers in the US, focusing mainly on licenses and totally cornering the Spy craze with James Bond, the Man from U.N.C.L.E, and TV detective Honey West. Unfortunately, all crazes end and so did Gilbert, this would be their […]

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, the artwork is really beautiful in this catalog! I have seen the art more than the figures themselves over the years. I don't think I've ever seen pics of the UNCLE figures, and have never seen the Bond figures in person.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

If I received a 12" James Bond or Odd Job figure I would be soooo let down to see Bond come in a swimsuit and Odd Job come wearing a Karate robe.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
        If I received a 12" James Bond or Odd Job figure I would be soooo let down to see Bond come in a swimsuit and Odd Job come wearing a Karate robe.
        Harold Sakata had a couple of late appearances (including in the bizarre film The Phynx, in which he was even listed in the credits as playing "Odd Job") in which he wears a Karate robe, so something got that as much in the public consciousness as the character's uniform. Of course, 1966 is pretty close to the film's date for that to already be how he was depicted.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Attractive catalog, and I'd be thrilled even today to own that 10-piece set of Bond figurines.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Attractive catalog, and I'd be thrilled even today to own that 10-piece set of Bond figurines.
            The Bond figurines are totally over-rated

Owned like 10 of them and almost none would stand on their own --- Must be leaned on other figures or re-glued to a new base.

Paint jobs are also terrible...

Don't let the promo photos fool you

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Owned like 10 of them and almost none would stand on their own --- Must be leaned on other figures or re-glued to a new base.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. I haven't seen the Bond figurines in person, but I totally believe you because the paint job on their Honey West doll was terrible, as well. I had to add my own paint to make her look somewhat "pretty."
              IMG_20210219_233534.jpg

Before:IMG_20210211_163803.jpg
              before after_3.jpg
              Last edited by RonnyG; May 6, '21, 3:45 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Wow, nice upgrade. Yeah...out of the box, she's no Anne Francis!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Awwwww....Buzz Killington.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Oh lord, I have that outfit.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Wowzers! That Honey West doll gives Kenner's Dusty competition in the world's ugliest fashion doll category.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 29, 2018

Honey West as a doll has that certain Gladys Kravitz energy...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎