Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dark Shadows Display (With a bunch of stand-ins)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    They're good peeps, filling a niche, too.
    I'll second that. I have always been pleased with their products and level of service.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Wow! Nice work. I know nothing about Dark Shadows, other than I needs to have that B.C. Cane!
      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

Thank you J.B.!

If you're interested in checking it out, the whole series is available on Tubi TV, for free...one quick commercial at the beginning of each viewing session, and one short commercial break during each episode.

Are you interested in a real life-sized cane, or a Mego-sized cane? The one I have in the pic is just a regular black cane from CTVT that I hand painted the handle silver. Just a quick prop, until Mego reissues the Spectre line and expands upon it (in this fan's dream anyway ).

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
          Are you interested in a real life-sized cane, or a Mego-sized cane?
          Life-sized. That thing is wicked cool.

Damned Shadows

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I don’t know to much about DS, but it’s a great display you have, very nicely done.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by J.B.
              Life-sized. That thing is wicked cool.
              Ah! The least expensive one on eBay right now is about $465 (search: Dark Shadows Cane). MPI Home video offered a fairly decent replica one awhile back for $130, they sold out pretty quick, then they relisted some more, but then sold out again. You might check periodically to see if they end up listing any more...www.mpihomevideo.com.

If you have a resale license, or know someone who does, you can buy direct from the U.S. distributor in New York (interestingly enough located on a street named "Collins Place"): www.harvycanes.com. I just checked their website, and weirdly there is a price listed for this item ($367.50). I don't know if that is their wholesale price, or if they are actually selling it direct now? None of their other canes have a price listed on the public access area of their site, and usually this one does not either. Normally, you would have to create an account and sign in to get a view of their prices for each listing. (Edited to add, not available for public, still requires a resale account. Interesting the price is there...must be an error or maybe they're aware of the dude reselling it on eBay for $800 )

In that photo you posted, notice the ears are "folded" or "bent" down. I don't know if that is due to being dropped a few too many times, or if it was done intentionally to make it more user friendly for Frid. I've heard both versions over the years.
              Last edited by Dark Shadow; May 12, '21, 8:55 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by TrekStar
                I don’t know to much about DS, but it’s a great display you have, very nicely done.
                Thank you TrekStar! I really had a great time working on the basement last month, someday in the near future I plan on revamping the parlor to make it look a little more accurate. If you ever get a chance to check out the show, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

Great DS displays, DS...haha! You did a wonderful job on them and on your custom figures.

Dana
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                    Creature Of The Night
                    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by danadoll
                    Great DS displays, DS...haha! You did a wonderful job on them and on your custom figures.

Dana
                    Thank you Dana, I appreciate it! Currently working on upgrading the parlor, will post when I've made some progress. Thanks again!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                      learning all the time
                      • Sep 15, 2010

looks awesome!

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                        Thank you Dana, I appreciate it! Currently working on upgrading the parlor, will post when I've made some progress. Thanks again!
                        Of course! I really should get back to my custom Dark Shadows figures and start posting some photos. I can hardly wait to see your new parlor photos, DS.

Best,

Dana

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

Hi DS, if I may ask...is the fireplace a purchase or did you put it together yourself? How about the chairs, where did you get those? Oh, and what scale are your accessories in the photo (the candelabras, etc..)?

Best,

Dana
                          Last edited by danadoll; May 30, '21, 9:03 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
                            looks awesome!
                            Thank you C.H.O.A.M.! I appreciate it!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by danadoll
                              Hi DS, if I may ask...is the fireplace a purchase or did you put it together yourself? How about the chairs, where did you get those? Oh, and what scale are your accessories in the photo (the candelabras, etc..)?

Best,

Dana
                              Heya Dana! I built the fireplace out of balsa wood, it was a quick toss together that I ended up being satisfied with. As I'm redoing the parlor, I'm rethinking it, but it will most likely remain as is for now. The chairs are repainted Barbie semi wingbacks (see below) and the table and vase are also from Barbie. I made the mantel clock out of a cheap clock broach that I found and balsa wood/crafting foam.

The candelabras on the mantel are (I think) 1/12 scale, I bought them from Hobby Lobby in Burbank some time ago, they do still carry them...I saw them last week in our local store in the doll house section but I didn't check the scale. Most of the other accessories laying about are 1:6 scale sideshow stuff (books, candles, lantern, test tubes, rats, doll, etc.). The coffin and serpent candles are from Flatt World Dracula, and the tall clock is from the Diamond Select Munsters set.

I hope this helps! The parlor revamp is coming along nicely, will post pics when I get it pieced together, hopefully in a week or so. Take care!

Comment

• danadoll
                                Micronaut Nut!
                                • Apr 11, 2005

Thank you, DS...I think I'd like to make an Old House diorama too for my customs. I appreciate the info, as I wasn't really sure where to start from.

Again, you did a great job. I look forward to seeing your revamped parlor.

Best,

Dana
                                Last edited by danadoll; Jun 1, '21, 1:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎