X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe Power Tour full show rare video

In honor of Masters of the Universe day (the first and only real nerd holiday the rest are all posers) a rare video of the 1987 live action Power Tour. I never thought I'd see this. I've only seen trailers and short clips before.

Yes, it's a little silly but it would have been mind blowing for kids in 87.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I was preparing a big eyeroll but found this charming. Some of the costumes are amazing, Hordak is great. I like the idea of a narrator/balladeer telling the story of Eternia with multimedia to engage the kids and parents.

How did MOTU Classic not do a figure of the balladeer lol?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      How did MOTU Classic not do a figure of the balladeer lol?
      From what I remember Songster was included in a Matty fan vote of characters to release in MOTUC but didn't win.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Better him than Mol-Nar, truly.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

Wow--thank you for sharing this! I remember reading about this in People Magazine and thinking the He-Man they cast looked great. PNGwynne is right that this has loads of charm. And even though I never saw this at all, I have a memory of Songster. Maybe it's some hint from reading that article years ago, but I have no recollection of that. A quick search told me he never appeared in a comic or cartoon, which is too bad...I could see them using him in storybook-type adventures.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for posting this! I'm going to have to check this out. This came out RIGHT after I walked away from MOTU, feeling it was too "kiddie" for me at that point, mostly due to the Filmation interpretation of the property. Now I don't see much difference between Filmations' He-Man, and the GI Joe and Transformers cartoon I felt were more "adult", but tell that to 12 year old me.

But seeing the commercials for this, I was tempted to try and ask my Mom if we could go. Never did, though.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              This came out RIGHT after I walked away from MOTU, feeling it was too "kiddie" for me at that point, mostly due to the Filmation interpretation of the property
              I think the live show definitely skews a bit younger than the cartoon. It's very all ages family friendly.

Now I hope that a video will turn up for the live action MOTU show at Universal Studios from 1985. The costumes looked great and Skeletor gave out toys!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

^^The costumes there do look great.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                  ^^The costumes there do look great.
                  Indeed they do.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Man, that does look cool. I wish they did toy commercials like that. I love the live action M.A.S.K. commercials! Young me was SURE they were going to make a movie!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I remember those M.A.S.K. commercials. The were pretty wicked.

I think there where a few overseas MOTU commercials that had some live action footage mixed in. Like this one.

And then there were all the NA He-Man live action commercials.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

Interesting that the live action armor is different from the figures.

I always liked when they had these kinds of glimpses. It definitely made me think movies/tv shows could be coming.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I had never seen that commercial before. Looks great!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎