Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanchez Will Play A Direct Descendent of Mr Roarke - Fox To Reboot Fantasy Island

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by apes3978
    Point taken

Can't say I disagree with you either.

As far as the big four's programming, I think Fox's Sunday night Animation Domination block holds up pretty well, but outside of watching those shows occasionally, I don't view much network TV, other than the new contest show, "Pooch Perfect"-I've seen enough of it now to want to see who wins it

I mainly watch some of the cable networks, but there's no escaping commercials for me.
    I never watch anything that’s currently airing on scheduled programming. All the shows with commercials are viewed later on DVR.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

So far I got GOT with The Orville, lol.

I’m trying to remember another rather recent Network show that I liked.

Oh, I just remembered, The Big Bang Theory.

This is my second eating crow sampling...

sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Hector

Oh, I just remembered, The Big Bang Theory.
        Do you watch the prequel show, "Young Sheldon"?

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Do you watch the prequel show, "Young Sheldon"?
          Didn’t like that one. It was not horrible, but didn’t grab me and stopped watching it after a few episodes.

Part of the problem is that the kid looked nothing like Jim Parsons.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

I used to religiously watch the Simpsons, but after 100 years on the air, well, enough is enough, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Don't think I'll watch this new reboot. I was just a kid when the original Fantasy Island was on the air but I remember watching it every Saturday night right after the Love Boat. Part of the appeal was seeing who the guest stars were going to be in the opening credits. They were usually some actor I admired from an old TV show, like Tina Louise, Bob Denver, Adam West, or someone from the Brady Bunch. Now that I'm adult, there are not that many current actors I get excited about these days so you can take that thrill factor out. All the actors I admired when I was young, are now either dead or retired.
              Last edited by RonnyG; May 4, '21, 3:39 AM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

All networks shows suck. I can’t think of one decent one in recent memory. Name me 20, I’ll hate very one of them, lol.

They have nothing like The Boys, Umbrella Academy, Invincible, The Expanse, Westworld, Raised by Wolves, etc. Not one single Network show produces that type of programming. Network shows is crap like The Resident, Hawaii Five O, Blindspot, The Masked Singer, The Voice, Young Rock, The Equalizer, Mr Mayor. All that stuff holds zero interest to me. Same old boring and unimaginative been there-done that type of shows. Nothing fresh about them. I consider them dumb down programming. Network is also restrictive with content, you can’t really push the envelope, too many rules and regulations. And don’t get me started about the commercials. I’m done with commercials, lol.

And when I say Network, I mean the four old dinosaurs, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.

Obviously Networks like AMC and others similar on free TV are fine.

Although I do watch sports on those before mentioned channels, but that’s live sports programming. They are not fictional produced shows.

Anyway, that’s just my humble opinion of course...

FOX is an old fart? October 9, 1986

NBC= radio: 11/15/1926; TV: 4/30/39
                ABC=radio 10/12/43; TV: 4/19/48
                CBS= radio 9/18/27; TV: 7/1/41

Fox OLD????????????

And I do have to agree most of the stuff on network tv is lame, but you do get some surprises every once in a while.

Not sure If i can do 20 but here I go, currently on "Network" tv

CBS: The NEIGHBORHOOD and BOB 's ABISHOLA that's my Monday night one-two punch, and for me that's saying something.

NBC & ABC: nothing at the moment

Fox: It's been a loong time since "In Living Colour"

and SURPRISE!!

PBS=TV: 10/5/70

We are very lucky to have not one but 3 PBS stations in the area, the most notable being WTTW (Window to the World) on Ch 11; then WYYC CH 20 and WYIN CH 56 Gary,IN./Chicago,IL.

WYYC is the host for FIRST NATION TV, which is mostly First Nation based content from the US and Canada, with some content from South America, Australia and New Zealand.

WYIN has a current show called: JOURNEY INDIANA, which is a travel program showcasing interesting people and locations in Indiana.

WTTW is the monster; they have currently....

DOC MARTIN (my fave!!!!!)

SHAKESPEARE AND HATHAWAY

FATHER BROWN (HE RULES!!!)

MASTERPIECE: ( All Creatures Great and Small 2021)

Frontline

American Experience

American Masters

POV

Independent Lens (Love this show!!!)

And that is 12 out of 20, so that I guess is pretty good. Too many people count out PBS, but they are the Dark Horse favorite in the whole race and the fact that they have to hold telethons every six months is a testament to their survival.

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by RonnyG
                  Don't think I'll watch this new reboot. I was just a kid when the original Fantasy Island was on the air but I remember watching it every Saturday night right after the Love Boat. Part of the appeal was seeing who the guest stars were going to be in the opening credits. They were usually some actor I admired from an old TV show, like Tina Louise, Bob Denver, Adam West, or someone from the Brady Bunch. Now that I'm adult, there are not that many current actors I get excited about these days so you can take that thrill factor out. All the actors I admired when I was young, are now either dead or retired.

Now that you mention the guest stars from the old show, you have me thinking: Who of anyone from let's say the last 20 years would do the show?

I would imagine that up and coming actors would probably do it, for a paying gig if nothing else. But, TV stars of old seemed to be a different animal-I can't picture anyone from now that would want to do it, for fear of having the stigma of being "washed up" and having to lower themselves to guest spots.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Now that you mention the guest stars from the old show, you have me thinking: Who of anyone from let's say the last 20 years would do the show?

I would imagine that up and coming actors would probably do it, for a paying gig if nothing else. But, TV stars of old seemed to be a different animal-I can't picture anyone from now that would want to do it, for fear of having the stigma of being "washed up" and having to lower themselves to guest spots.
                    You need to pay more attention to the actors on the "Hallmark Christmas movie" circuit. There is no shortage of formerly "big name" talent that is willing to lower themselves.

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                      You need to pay more attention to the actors on the "Hallmark Christmas movie" circuit. There is no shortage of formerly "big name" talent that is willing to lower themselves.
                      Point taken...

You might as well throw some Lifetime actors in there as well to even it all out.

Maybe Lori Loughlin will make her anticipated comeback on "Fantasy Island"? And speaking of her, I could actually picture her former "Full House" co-star John Stamos doing something like "Fantasy Island".

Comment

• megoapesnut
                        The name says it all!
                        • Dec 3, 2007

All networks shows suck. I can’t think of one decent one in recent memory. Name me 20, I’ll hate very one of them, lol.
                        What do you consider recent, Hec? Fringe was the best show ever televised in my tiny opinion. It is 10 years old though, so that could miss your definition of recent.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by RonnyG
                          Ronny, what are you posting about?? This is clearly a thread about the value of network TV

Seriously though, one of the things I enjoy about this place is seeing where threads will go.

I hadn't thought about the guest star factor of the new show's appeal. And you're right, I don't know that I'll enjoy seeing today's C-listers guesting. I wonder if Fox will try to load it with current series stars in attempt to promote their shows.
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                            What do you consider recent, Hec? Fringe was the best show ever televised in my tiny opinion. It is 10 years old though, so that could miss your definition of recent.
                            Fringe was not my cup of tea. But I can see why many loved it.

But please, for the love of god almighty....PLEASE...everyone here PLEASE don’t mention LOST to me...I friggin HATE that show.

Thank you kindly...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎