X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in

I was excited about the re-emergence of Mego as a company and being able to see them at Target, but for the most part I've stayed out of buying many of them. As a designer, I am super picky and as a modern day collector, I'm spoiled with choices. Not many in those early waves really floated my boat; not going to criticize or anything because I don't want to yuck anyone else's yum. I'm also in that stage in life where I look at all the accumulated stuff around me and think it's time to cut down.

However, these past few Mego waves have had some real knockouts and it's tough for me to resist them. I am very, very impressed by the improvements that have been made in sculpting in particular. They deserve all the credit here... persisting in the face of early criticism and lining up some great licenses, including DC superheroes (!!!). Man, I remember back in the early days of the Levy list how we all clamored when someone was selling a custom Flash costume that was incomplete (no head, no boots) for the low price of $50. In 1995 dollars, that's $86.90. Now you can buy one off the shelf (if you can find it) or online for $16.99.

Not to mention... Rocketeer?! A real Rocketeer Mego!

We're living in a golden age, toy nerds. Appreciate it.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Oh stop being positive and reasonable Steve - there's no room for that in this hobby!

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

It's so true, what a change from the early days. I don't buy every new Mego that comes out...but the beauty of it is, there are SO MANY new Mego's that I actually get to be picky about it. Good times...

Looks like Steve's positivity is catching.
      sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by MegoSteve
        I was excited about the re-emergence of Mego as a company and being able to see them at Target, but for the most part I've stayed out of buying many of them. As a designer, I am super picky and as a modern day collector, I'm spoiled with choices. Not many in those early waves really floated my boat; not going to criticize or anything because I don't want to yuck anyone else's yum. I'm also in that stage in life where I look at all the accumulated stuff around me and think it's time to cut down.

However, these past few Mego waves have had some real knockouts and it's tough for me to resist them. I am very, very impressed by the improvements that have been made in sculpting in particular. They deserve all the credit here... persisting in the face of early criticism and lining up some great licenses, including DC superheroes (!!!). Man, I remember back in the early days of the Levy list how we all clamored when someone was selling a custom Flash costume that was incomplete (no head, no boots) for the low price of $50. In 1995 dollars, that's $86.90. Now you can buy one off the shelf (if you can find it) or online for $16.99.

Not to mention... Rocketeer?! A real Rocketeer Mego!

We're living in a golden age, toy nerds. Appreciate it.

Ah, the Levy list. The Good 'ole days, but it was really fun. That was the period when I assembled almost all my vintage Mego collection. None of us had a clue how many terrific choices for new products there was going to be in another 15 years, including Mattel, TCE, EMCE, BBP.

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

Megos really are a bargain compared to modern figures... It's wild to me that an 8" figure with a cloth, removable outfit is 20-25% cheaper than a molded 6" Marvel or Star Wars figure. They're only a couple bucks more than Vintage Collection Star Wars at $12.99.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

So true, 'cause soft goods are waaaaay cheaper than unique tooling. And be it Mego, GI Joe 12", or Big Jim, I will always prefer a dressed doll over an "action figure."
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

[QUOTE=PNGwynne;1464342 And be it Mego, GI Joe 12", or Big Jim, I will always prefer a dressed doll over an "action figure."[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!

Comment

• mars396
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 14, 2007

I had a dream last night that Star Trek sold well enough that they went DEEP into TNG and even made DS9 and Voyager Megos !

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by mars396
                  I had a dream last night that Star Trek sold well enough that they went DEEP into TNG and even made DS9 and Voyager Megos !
                  I think they should at least finish up TNG with Riker, Dr. Crusher, Worf, LaForge and Troi.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                    Museum Patron
                    • Aug 23, 2019

Riker, at your command. He and Kang are up in June! I want pics though

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎