Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

Alien Nation TV series

I just finished watching Alien Nation on Tubi. I have never seen it before. I just watched the movie about 6 months ago. I really enjoyed the series. The main characters were well fleshed out and showed growth as the series progressed. I really liked how much time and care Kenneth Johnson obviously gave to developing the Newcomers backstory and George's family's dynamic. I was shocked at how in-your-face racism was presented. I was taken aback at several racist words used, including the N word several times, very risky for 1989 television. Gary Graham and Eric Pierpoint were really great as partners. I thought Gary played Sikes a little different than James Cann had, but Eric really played George almost the same as Mandy Patinkin did. Of course it is too bad there was not a second season, especially with that cliff hanger! This series could just as easily have been made today with the controversy in the U.S. over immigrants. It is really too bad that the FOX network was having financial problems at the time and that is why there weren't more seasons. I would like to see the made for tv movies that were produced. I've seen the price for the dvd set of them, little high for me. So what other 1 or 2 season shows do you think should have went longer? Of course Battlestar Galactica. I would also submit Planet of the Apes, Kolchak The Night Stalker, Logan's Run, The Time Tunnel, Quark, V(1984 version), Buck Rogers.
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Have you watched the Alien Nation TV Movies?

Alien Nation: Dark Horizon (1994) (TV Movie)
    Alien Nation: Body and Soul (1995) (TV Movie)
    Alien Nation: The Udara Legacy (1997) (TV Movie)
    Alien Nation: The Enemy Within (1996) (TV Movie)
    Alien Nation: Millennium (1996) (TV Movie)

They fill in on the series.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by apenutncc1701
      Of course it is too bad there was not a second season, especially with that cliff hanger! This series could just as easily have been made today with the controversy in the U.S. over immigrants. It is really too bad that the FOX network was having financial problems at the time and that is why there weren't more seasons.

I love "Alien-Nation", and pull out the DVDs every couple of years or so and watch the entire series, and then usually the movies...

Yeah, it definitely sucks that there wasn't a second season-What stings is that "AN" *was* renewed for a second season, then FOX changed that at the last minute and went with cheaper to produce sitcoms.

Regarding the cliff-hanger, if you're able to find the movies, the first of the reunion movies pretty much picks up where the TV series left off, so that story is mostly resolved. The only thing that isn't resolved is Buck kissing the human at the end of the final TV episode, but the rest is taken care of.

I agree that a reboot would be great, but some of the stuff they'd cover would probably be too hot to handle for some in today's climate. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try it

I definitely agree that "Planet of the Apes" and "Kolchak-The Night Stalker" should have gone on longer that they did.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

CW Star Crossed

The CW tried to do there own version of Alien Nation:
        star-crossed-dl.jpg

Set in the near-future in 2024, the series follows a romance between a human girl named Emery and an alien boy named Roman when he and six others of his kind are integrated into a suburban high school. It is filmed and takes place in Louisiana[6] in the fictional town of Edendale.
        but it only lasted for one short season.

I forgot that Alien Nation was only one season, but then I was reading the comic books so it felt like the series was longer. My comic book dealer told me my order was one of the easiest ones to pull. I was one of the few that ordered Indy Comic Books.
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 21, '21, 8:18 PM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• shaunaconda
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 29, 2020

Kenneth Johnson has been involved with some cool shows...AN, SMDM, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and I’m sure many more. I even remember Cliffhangers being pretty cool. I’ve heard him on Coast to Coast am, and he’s a great interview! And he’s great on dvd commentaries. He’s full of energy and seems to really care!

Comment

• apenutncc1701
            • Aug 9, 2009

Like I said, I would like to see the tv movies but the dvd's are just priced too high for me right now. I never said anything about a reboot, I meant shows getting additional seasons when they originally aired.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I always thought it was funny how Sam's name OFFICIALLY became George just because Sikes refused to call him Sam

Even his wife calls him George

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Um Most of the movies are on youtube...(I provided the links below)

Alien Nation the series

Alien Nation: Dark Horizon (1994) (TV Movie)

Alien Nation: Body and Soul (1995) (TV Movie)

Alien Nation: The Udara Legacy (1997) (TV Movie)

Alien Nation: The Enemy Within (1996) (TV Movie)

On January 25, 2021, it is announced that Jeff Nichols, director of films Take Shelter (2011), Mud (2012), and Loving (2016), is going to remake the film as a ten-part tv show.
                Alien Nation: Millennium (1996) (TV Movie)
                Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 22, '21, 3:52 PM.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Have any of you read the "Alien-Nation" comics that were put out in the 90s?

I haven't read the comics that were strictly "Alien-Nation", but recall reading the "Ape-Nation" ("Planet of the Apes" & "Alien-Nation" crossover)-Needless to say, I wasn't overly impressed.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

IMO Eric Pierpoint and Gary Graham were toned down for the TV series

Would have loved to see a REAL sequel to the movie with James Caan & Mandy Patinkin

These guys played off with eachother so much better than Graham and Pierpoint in the series ...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by apes3978
                      Have any of you read the "Alien-Nation" comics that were put out in the 90s?

I haven't read the comics that were strictly "Alien-Nation", but recall reading the "Ape-Nation" ("Planet of the Apes" & "Alien-Nation" crossover)-Needless to say, I wasn't overly impressed.
                      i have a complete run of the Alien Nation comic books and they do go further than the tv series (as expected).
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡