X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Pizza Delivery - L.A. Style!

Had some Pizza delivered yesterday. Now, La La Land rolls a little differently, so I'd like to apologize ahead of time to my Mego Brethren in New York and Chicago for what you may consider to be a blasphemous culinary atrocity.

Little Nancy Silverton is co-owner along with Chef Matt Molina. Now, if Nancy's involved, then you know this Pie's got Street Cred!

Straight outta' Highland Park:

The Acorn Squash Pizza - Acorn Squash, Mozzarella, Cacio di Roma Cheese, Honey and Crushed Red Pepper (I think I just heard Bronxboykev's head explode, Scanners style)

The Roasted Mushroom and Shallot Pizza - Roasted Mushrooms, Shallots, Garlic, Mozzarella, Fontina, Black Truffle Cheese, Oregano and Thyme

We added Red Onions to the Mushroom/Shallot one and Sausage to both. Side of Roasted Cauliflower - Roasted Cauliflower, Grilled Onions, Mint and Housemade Ranch

So, my neighbor, who is from DuBois, Pennsylvania, saw our delivery and said, "That's not Pizza." She left and now refuses to speak to me. My Italian GIG Spidey was speechless.

Until he wasn't.

"fottuto idiota."

I don't care. I'm a grown man that can take criticism and the cold shoulder. In the end, The heart wants what it wants. I regret nothing.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not sure about the first (though I love squash), but the second one has my full attention and I want some of that cauliflower, dammit!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Hey I was out in Cali, it took me awhile to eat local food. Fish Tacos, Nachos with shredded cheese, broccoli & cauliflower in my omelet, and the strange veggie style pizzas. I would eat at least a few slices of those pizzas pictures above.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Damn it, I want you Gig Spidey!!

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

No, this will never replace the spicy-sweet sauce of Spruce Street Pizza in West Philly, BUT... they look like they can hold their own. After all, there's enough room for all kinds of pizza in the world.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

How Highland Park has changed. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around that hood becoming hipsterville. Last time I was there is gang central.
            Glad it did get gentrified as it is a nice area and great houses.

BTW, those za's look good and I dig the artwork on the boxes.

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by SeattleEd
              How Highland Park has changed. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around that hood becoming hipsterville. Last time I was there is gang central.
              Glad it did get gentrified as it is a nice area and great houses....
              My Wife grew up in Eagle Rock and when she was a kid you wouldn't think of visiting Highland Park unless you were in the mood to receive a serious beatdown. Hipsterville does describe it perfectly now. Same thing happened in Atwater Village and Silver Lake.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Silver Lake started becoming hip back in the early 90's when Exene Cervenka from the band X opened up an art gallery and some after hours clubs opened up along Sunset. Also, some recording studios poped up. When Spaceland moved in it sealed the deal and became super hip after that, then the developers moved and gentrified the area.
                Same happened with Atwater Village since the Beastie Boys opened up their clothing store back in the early 90s and also when Pulp Fiction was filmed there. Not to mention Rockaway Records expanding. That area started blowing up with hipsters before we moved out of Cali. I went back recently and did not recognize a lot of it.
                I do miss Pasadena, San Marino, and Altadena. Those places have gotten nicer. Some great restaurants too. Does PCC still have the Sunday Swamp Meet? Great place to score toys and records from what I recall.

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Silver Lake started becoming hip back in the early 90's when Exene Cervenka from the band X opened up an art gallery and some after hours clubs opened up along Sunset. Also, some recording studios poped up. When Spaceland moved in it sealed the deal and became super hip after that, then the developers moved and gentrified the area.
                  Same happened with Atwater Village since the Beastie Boys opened up their clothing store back in the early 90s and also when Pulp Fiction was filmed there. Not to mention Rockaway Records expanding. That area started blowing up with hipsters before we moved out of Cali. I went back recently and did not recognize a lot of it.
                  I do miss Pasadena, San Marino, and Altadena. Those places have gotten nicer. Some great restaurants too.
                  "If you don't believe me, you can ask John Doe, 'Cause his heart is made of glory, his voice is made of gold"

Loves me some X!

We saw Pulp Fiction in a small theater when it first came out and recognized some of the locations. I stopped watching the Oscars after it lost to Forrest Gump, which I couldn't even sit through.

Does PCC still have the Sunday Swamp Meet? Great place to score toys and records from what I recall.
                  The Flea Market/Swap Meet is currently postponed, but I'm sure it will open up again as things continue to improve. This was my last mini-haul from 7/18.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I really like the Bendy Tarzan, looks in excellent condition, nice and clean too. I am hoping to pick one up off ebay this summer sealed on card, or a nice clean loose one like you have.

If you feel like selling him, let me know.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Those look tasty. It's not what you put on a pizza, it's how it's made and those look well made.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

It looks good but I don't know how you can legally call that pizza.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by J.B.
                          The Flea Market/Swap Meet is currently postponed, but I'm sure it will open up again as things continue to improve. This was my last mini-haul from 7/18.
                          Nice take! I'm not sure what the PCC is (?), but I used to frequent the RGC Flea Market at the Rose Bowl. It was either late '96 or early '97 when I scored a carded 12" Mego Spider-Man. It was a weird day, I saw Jim J. Bullock in one aisle, (the antique furniture area toward the south) and a few aisles over I saw Eric Singer with his extremely long blonde hair. Bullock was much larger than I would have guessed, and Singer was way more tiny up close than I had taken notice of from a distance at the Burbank KISS Convention a year and a half (or so) earlier. Very memorable day!

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                            Nice take! I'm not sure what the PCC is (?), but I used to frequent the RGC Flea Market at the Rose Bowl. It was either late '96 or early '97 when I scored a carded 12" Mego Spider-Man. It was a weird day, I saw Jim J. Bullock in one aisle, (the antique furniture area toward the south) and a few aisles over I saw Eric Singer with his extremely long blonde hair. Bullock was much larger than I would have guessed, and Singer was way more tiny up close than I had taken notice of from a distance at the Burbank KISS Convention a year and a half (or so) earlier. Very memorable day!
                            Pasadena City College

The Rose Bowl Flea Market is my favorite. You can spend the entire day there. Brought back a loose, minty (large) Corgi Batboat on my last visit.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Californian here. I don’t like these Cali hipster pizzas. I mean, yes, have tried them (again, I’m Californian). I’m not saying they are yucky, just not my kinda pizza. Give me east coast pizza any day over this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎