X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Need some help understanding the new eBay fees - not adding up

I switched over to eBay's managed payments and have sold some items. I see that they transferred money to the bank account I created for this purpose.

Today, I started to look at the amounts they deduct. There is no itemization of the fees. So I am using their fees page and trying to calculate and come to the number they deducted. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable here could help me understand because the numbers are not adding up. My seller rating is above standard. Here is my example:

Item sold for: $140
    Tax: $0
    Buyer paid shipping $8.25

Actual shipping cost paid to Paypal not via eBay account: $7.67

As I read the eBay fees, I should be paying $148.25 X %12.35 (toys category of course) + $0.30 transaction fee = $18.61

For this purchase, eBay deducted $20.21

Any ideas where the extra $1.60 they are charging is coming from? Thanks for your help!
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Not sure? Did you check your invoice/account summary page to see a breakdown of the fees?

Comment

• Myoldtoys
      Veteran Member
      • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by RonnyG
      Not sure? Did you check your invoice/account summary page to see a breakdown of the fees?
      It looks like the invoice page is now obsolete. They tell you to go to the payment-->transactions-->transaction details page. There it shows each sold item and only the fee total. It is not itemized.

I tried to calculate the fees for the 11 items that I sold. eBay deducted $75.43 in fees. The final value (item prices + tax + shipping) X %12.35 + $0.30 transaction fees calculation = $70.54.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

I chatted with an eBay representative. It turns out that the transaction detail for each item does not show you the sales tax that the buyer paid. It shows the order total as just the sale price plus shipping. This is why the fees were higher. I was missing the 12.55% fee sellers have to pay on tax...which lets face it...is not even paid to the seller.

The eBay representative said that they are getting a lot of complaints about the transaction detail not including this.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
          I chatted with an eBay representative. It turns out that the transaction detail for each item does not show you the sales tax that the buyer paid. It shows the order total as just the sale price plus shipping. This is why the fees were higher. I was missing the 12.55% fee sellers have to pay on tax...which lets face it...is not even paid to the seller.

The eBay representative said that they are getting a lot of complaints about the transaction detail not including this.
          I'm not 100% certain, but I believe taking a % of sales tax collected is illegal.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
            Veteran Member
            • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
            I'm not 100% certain, but I believe taking a % of sales tax collected is illegal.
            I had about $400 worth of sales. I had to calculate the tax that eBay collected in order to match the fees they deducted. It was over $30 worth of tax that they collected and never passed through me as the seller. The extra 12.55% on that tax made up the almost $5 the transaction detail was missing.

I’m sure they pay the states the right tax amount. They just deduct that money from the seller. I know that is their policy. But there is zero transparency in that transaction.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

If you want to do some further reading: I just went to ebay community discussion page out of curiosity, and typed in "sales tax" in the search bar, and there are lots of posts devoted to this topic you might find helpful or enlightening.. I'm still confused. LOL
              https://community.ebay.com/t5/Paymen...a/m-p/31273586

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎