Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atomikhammer
    • Nov 20, 2012

Has Mego changed the head sculpt style?

Has anyone seen Scotty or Dr. McCoy in person? the photos Mego has posted seem to show a more "realistic" sculpt style (eye wrinkles ect) McCoy looks the same and I thought Wonka looked a bit like that too, although less so in hand. Is this a trend? i admit to not liking it as they look less MEGO-ISH if that makes sense. Any insight?. in Canada we get 'em a bit later so I may not see Scotty in the wild for some time.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

^I noticed it too, and IMO it's not that they look more realistic. To be honest, some of the latest sculpts look a little rough...not as smooth or refined as they should be.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

They look more carved than sculpted. Like a wood carving. Not really bad just different. It does make Scotty and McCoy not totally fit in stylistically with the other Trek figures.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• wise guy
        Career Member
        • Dec 29, 2014

I just received Scotty, and McCoy, and the heads look nice, but McCoy is zombie white and has a white body(not flesh tone).

Comment

• Ivaniski
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 24, 2007

Hopefully, Mego could give us Kirk and Spock to fit these "New Sculpts" style...and then give is the Original Scotty and McCoy heads from the past. And, Yes I agree Dr. McCoy looks like a Zombie....Everyone is saying that it's Poor Quality Control.

Comment

• Atomikhammer
            • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
            They look more carved than sculpted. Like a wood carving. Not really bad just different. It does make Scotty and McCoy not totally fit in stylistically with the other Trek figures.
            That was my feeling, that they look odd beside the others. comparing my scotty to the photo of the new one, it is very noticeable. i understand that maybe the want them to not be duplicates of the originals, but the news ones up until now fit very well with the old ones. Does anyone have a Pike in hand yet to see if he's like that too?

Comment

• Atomikhammer
              • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
              ^I noticed it too, and IMO it's not that they look more realistic. To be honest, some of the latest sculpts look a little rough...not as smooth or refined as they should be.
              I was hoping that the photos were prototypes and they would look "softer" and more like the others in hand. Rough is the perfect word to use.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

What can I say? I did the same thing I ever do in the same amount of time, be that good, bad, or otherwise.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  What can I say? I did the same thing I ever do in the same amount of time, be that good, bad, or otherwise.
                  IMO, at least on the Mr. Scott head, the paint makes the features appear more chiseled. I think if they'd gone with flesh color vinyl he wouldn't stand out vs. the originals as much. Corpse Bones really didn't have a chance.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                    IMO, at least on the Mr. Scott head, the paint makes the features appear more chiseled. I think if they'd gone with flesh color vinyl he wouldn't stand out vs. the originals as much. Corpse Bones really didn't have a chance.
                    I JUST realized Scotty was painted, he’s cast in the same color as McCoy underneath it. Every QC problem that I’ve seen people complain about is directly caused by not being able to travel to the factory on a regular basis thanks to covid. Hopefully that will change soon.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Atomikhammer
                      • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                      That makes total sense now that you have said it.

Comment

• Atomikhammer
                        • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                        I was mostly just curious if it was a new direction. this answer says not really lol

Comment

• MysteryWho
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2008

Originally posted by Atomikhammer
                          I was mostly just curious if it was a new direction. this answer says not really lol
                          I may in the minority but I was actually excited to see the new sculpts. The originals are fine, but I think the new ones are a step in the right direction. I was very much hoping to the see the rest of the crew re-done in a similar manner. Particularly Kirk, whose head on some of the other releases was terrible.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

The new sculpts made me buy figures I wouldn't have if they were straight-up reproductions.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Atomikhammer
                              • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                              The new sculpts made me buy figures I wouldn't have if they were straight-up reproductions.
                              This is a very good point as we are up to several versions of some of these figures. Also just ordered the 3 issue Toy Ventures bundle, looking forward to some good reading! Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎