Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thatblockoguy
    • Mar 24, 2010

Mattel’s new “Back in Action” line

The Spector Creative YouTube channel just posted a video introducing a new line of action figures Mattel based on their 1970’s properties including : Major Matt Mason, Big Jim & Pulsar. Seems the scale is similar to the secret wars figures.
    Scott Toy Guru Neitlich from Spector Creative looks at the new "Secret Wars 3 pack"; Back in Action bringing back older Mattel IP for today's collectors. Wil...

Anyone else have info on these?

Edit: I’m very embarrassed. I just saw that this was reported in the big Jim thread. Apologies
    Last edited by thatblockoguy; Apr 9, '21, 8:35 PM.
  • SpaceCrawler
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 20, 2008

From what I read on Facebook these were one-offs, prototypes, done by some artists. There was no mention of them actually being released.
    Would be nice if they brought back Major Matt Mason and Big Jim, but not like this, with no articulation.

Sean

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by SpaceCrawler
      From what I read on Facebook these were one-offs, prototypes, done by some artists. There was no mention of them actually being released.
      Would be nice if they brought back Major Matt Mason and Big Jim, but not like this, with no articulation.

Sean
      BS- I know people with factory samples of these and Mattel"s lawyers slapped me with a copyright infringement for posting the pictures. They're real.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• tmthor
        God of Knock-offs
        • Nov 29, 2005

Another of his videos shows that they come in a 3 pack slipcover and the master cases say "Secret Wars" on the cases. So in both cases it seems as if Mattel is looking to somehow make these Secret wars figures in more than just style.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^How can Mattel use the Secret Wars name? Isn't that owned by Marvel, even though Mattel reportedly came to them with the name based on market research?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

My guess is Marvel owns "Marvel Secret Wars" but not "Secret Wars"
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              BS- I know people with factory samples of these and Mattel"s lawyers slapped me with a copyright infringement for posting the pictures. They're real.
              I didn't say they weren't real. I said that other people, who seemed to be familiar with the situation, said they were one-offs done by artists for one reason or another, perhaps for the toy company.

Sean

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

Been wanting a real comeback for Big Jim for as long as I can remember. Hopefully this sells well enough for Mattel to notice.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Me, too! But I think that the problem with Big Jim is cost: It was a complicated figure to produce, and I'd be very surprised if Mattel has the tooling. Mattel had to redo tooling for even the commemorative MOTU releases. I think new tooling, and the complexity of the figure, may be prohibitive. Even if Matty would issue a collector/commemorative Big Jim, they might be unable to recoup costs.

IMO, Big Jim was the best-designed action-figure ever made--but perhaps not having the cookie-cutter body of a Barbie of GI Joe inhibits reissue.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎