X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Amok Time 14" figure prices

Amok Time is charging $35 for the 14" Star Trek figures. Almost double what the large figures were selling for at Target. Way too expensive for me!
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I knew there was a problem with the 14" figures just vanishing. New body tooling had to be made because the old tooling was taken. The whole licensing story never sat right with me. I guess the price increase was because of new molds having to be made. I wonder if the new bodies will be improved.
    Last edited by LonnieFisher; Apr 26, '21, 8:09 AM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

My love for the 14" line is no secret, but it's a chunk of money to be sure. Paul has indicated there were too many compromises to maintain the old price point, and that the extra cost will be worth it with upgrades that will be made.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

As I don't "Collect 'Em All", I can deal with it somewhat. I was really just hoping for Shazam! & Black Adam.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

If Apes goes jumbo I may have to stop… I mean I haven't consciously said NO! often to any simians since the questionable Kenner & Hasbro merch, but 14" is such a weird scale compared to the other inhabitants of Ape City.

Curious… what made Mego go and stay 14" instead of a migration to the highly popular 1/6 scale?

… all said, if it's a General or a Soldier, I suppose I can be swindled into one.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

I thought Mego went 14" instead of 12" to stand out a bit from what was already out there, like the Titan Heroes stuff, but I might be misremembering. And now they would kind of seem stuck at the 14" scale, much like DC Direct was with the 13" scale back in the day.

I was definitely taken aback by the price increase on the 14" figures, but when Paul explained the reason why, I was open to seeing what this will look like. I like the 14" figures, but I felt like there was some corners cut that kept them cheap, both in price and feel, like the capes, wrist gauntlets, and we know, the omission of The Joker's coat. The New 52 figures, which I did not collect, looked like they had super cheap costumes.

Having more accessories, like swappable hands, sounds cool, but if we get an upgrade in the clothing to match the great head sculpts of these figures, I am IN for my favorite DC Characters. I can swing two or three DC Comics characters in a wave, even if two in this wave are repeats.
            Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 18, '21, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

I think the smaller scale sellers that have been supporting the 8" line will have a slightly lower price than the abovementioned outlets. They are still going to be at least 10 up from the earlier Target figures. I am still very intrigued by the monster characters and will check them out, even tho the scale is not really my cup of tea. I would have really loved it if MEGO made a 'deluxe' line in the 10" scale, harkening back to the Flash Gordon and Doctor Who vintage figures. I am trying to squint and see the 14" figures as an amalgamation of that and the 12" scale.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

the 8 inch figures are going up too Lonnie
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  the 8 inch figures are going up too Lonnie
                  But, they didn't double in price.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    But, they didn't double in price.
                    up 3 bucks so far. I don't see how they made a dime on those huge figures for 20 bucks.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MEGO Kid
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 5, 2018

The price of EVERYTHING is going up

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I always thought they came in grossly underpriced to the market. But I imagine the feeling was they had to get a following outside the traditional niche of collectors and build a new base before they could price adjust. I think they've done that, so now its time to start moving price points to a more reasonable position to grow the company. I know everyone has enjoyed those crazy cheap prices, but it was never going to be sustainable if they wanted to chase after better licensing and build the brand. I'm totally fine with it.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

I believe the 14" size choice was because of the DC license. 12" was apparently taken and off the table, but 14" was allowed. The complexities of modern licensing would make Einstein burst a blood vessel trying to figure it all out. As for the price, everything has been going up in the industry, and I'm willing to pay a little more if it means they don't have to cut corners.

Comment

• zeedox
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 10, 2007

Sounds a bit like Mego is ready to take on the Hot Toys people in some way.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎