Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daredevil's Rogue's Gallery: crazy--but fun!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Daredevil's Rogue's Gallery: crazy--but fun!

Years before Frank Miller "legitimized" Daredevil, Marvel's Spiderman-manque had an equally bizarre gallery of second-rate foes. And I love them! Take that, Kingpin, Bullseye, and Typhoid Mary:

The Owl--my favorite eccentric Marvel crime-lord

Jester!

Stilt-Man!

Man-Bull!

Leap-Frog!

Mr.Fear!

Some, like Mr. Hyde and the Purple Man, have proved more durable. But I'm surprised the Scourge didn't clean DD's house.

What weird characters do you enjoy?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Lately two that have been on my mind are Jack of Hearts and Rainbow Raider. Really off the beaten path would be Astralad, my barber had a beat copy of New Adventures of Superboy 3 when I was a kid.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Years before Frank Miller "legitimized" Daredevil, Marvel's Spiderman-manque had an equally bizarre gallery of second-rate foes. And I love them! Take that, Kingpin, Bullseye, and Typhoid Mary:

The Owl--my favorite eccentric Marvel crime-lord

Jester!

Stilt-Man!

Man-Bull!

Leap-Frog!

Mr.Fear!

Some, like Mr. Hyde and the Purple Man, have proved more durable. But I'm surprised the Scourge didn't clean DD's house.

What weird characters do you enjoy?
      Yep. Some great ones in there for sure. That's the biggest problem with modern superhero comics. This compulsive need to ground every damn thing in reality and their overly serious nature. I miss superhero books that just embrace the absurdity of it all.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Yep. Some great ones in there for sure. That's the biggest problem with modern superhero comics. This compulsive need to ground every damn thing in reality and their overly serious nature. I miss superhero books that just embrace the absurdity of it all.
        you're not reading the right books then.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I have a ridiculous fondness for Razborback, who in his first appearance was totally established as a legit hero learning the ropes...despite being steeped in the CB craze of the time, and wearing a warthog on his head.

We talked Razorback and other "morts" we love, including a few of those Daredevil characters mentioned above, here: http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/fwp-morts/

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            you're not reading the right books then.
            Such as? I want my favorites the way they USED to be before the likes of Frank Miller, Alan Moore and Zack Snyder ruined them. If it's not classic Marvel or DC, I'm not interested.

There are no independent comics that interest me. They're all derivative at this point. Nobody can come up with a new character, power, or ability that hasn't already been done better by someone else.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Such as? I want my favorites the way they USED to be before the likes of Frank Miller, Alan Moore and Zack Snyder ruined them. If it's not classic Marvel or DC, I'm not interested.

There are no independent comics that interest me. They're all derivative at this point. Nobody can come up with a new character, power, or ability that hasn't already been done better by someone else.
              Check out Grant Morrison's All Star Superman, its a love letter to the crazy silver age Supes. New Frontier. Also Morrison's Batman run, it mines heavily from the 50s and 60s Batman comics. Too bad you are stuck in a no big two mode, I'd also offer up The Goon and Hellboy. Goon is cut from the same cloth as the Spirit, like its a crappy slum of Central City with giant squid, fish gangsters and zombies. Tom Strong may change your mind on Alan Moore, its his apology for taking the fun out of comics.
              Last edited by thunderbolt; Apr 6, '21, 5:15 PM.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Tom Strong is fantastic IMO.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I always like Rainbow Raider, too--and Crazy-Quilt. Perfect visually for comics.

Razorback, wow. People joke about how corny DC was, but tripping through the Marvel Handbook yields much head-scratching.

I have a soft spot for Turner D. Century and I read Marvel actually brought him back! They should do that with Commander Kraken, too.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Check out Grant Morrison's All Star Superman, its a love letter to the crazy silver age Supes. New Frontier. Also Morrison's Batman run, it mines heavily from the 50s and 60s Batman comics. Too bad you are stuck in a no big two mode, I'd also offer up The Goon and Hellboy. Goon is cut from the same cloth as the Spirit, like its a crappy slum of Central City with giant squid, fish gangsters and zombies. Tom Strong may change your mind on Alan Moore, its his apology for taking the fun out of comics.
                    I'll check out Tom Strong...thanks!

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

I always like Rainbow Raider, too--and Crazy-Quilt. Perfect visually for comics.

Razorback, wow. People joke about how corny DC was, but tripping through the Marvel Handbook yields much head-scratching.

I have a soft spot for Turner D. Century and I read Marvel actually brought him back! They should do that with Commander Kraken, too.
                      I love those off the wall characters...I'm sitting here holding an amazing Marvel Legends figure of the Fabulous Frog Man and cannot believe it exists. Same for Stilt-Man.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I love that Frog-Man, it just makes me ache to do a Leap-Frog Mego.

Actually, if I could find a head, it's be a pretty easy custom.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

I love that Frog-Man, it just makes me ache to do a Leap-Frog Mego.

Actually, if I could find a head, it's be a pretty easy custom.
                          You know there's one what I consider major Marvel character that has never had an action figure and it blows my mind. Puppet Master. Given his importance in the FF books and cartoons, appearance on the 1982 Hulk cartoon, etc.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I'm a huge classic FF fan and you are right! Red Ghost, too!!

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 13, 2009

8b0ba66c4486ab9b0ee3dcbcd63d112b.jpg

Surprised that no one has mentioned Gladiator yet! One of my favorites.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎