X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Storybook Squares

Do any of you have memories of the children's game show Storybook Squares? It existed in two forms, first as a Saturday morning show in 1969 and then as part of theme weeks on Hollywood Squares in the 1970s. The celebs appeared as various characters from kid lit (e.g. Bonnie Franklin as Peter Pan & Julie McWhirter as Dorothy), myth (Marty Allen as Cupid, Stu Williams as Merlin), history (Rip Taylor as Custer, Rose Marie as Pocahontas), etc. They also had a variety of actors who appeared in character in roles they had already played elsewhere (Carolyn Jones as Morticia, William Shatner as Kirk, Jim Backus as both Mr. Magoo & Thurston Howell). I've got vague memories of it, and since the 1970s episodes were actually part of HS, it's sometimes hard to track down info.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

I was too young to watch the Saturday morning version in '69, but I do remember the special theme weeks on the regular show in the '70s. I just remember them dressing up, but can't recall anything particular. I thought the tapes were lost or destroyed, but I just went on youtube and I see there are a couple episodes posted. I added them to my queue to watch later. Maybe it will help jog my memory.
    Peter Marshall wrote a book on HS back in 2002, and I went to the book-signing in Studio City. A bunch of his celebrity friends who appeared on the show like Rose Marie also showed up, and signed the book, too!

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I've seen the ones on YT--there are a a few out there in circulation. They were thought destroyed and discovered accidentally when something else was being sought, and some of those have made their way out. It's interesting to see what records there are and what memories people do have. The "TV.com" site has many actors listed, and in some cases I wonder if the listings are correct. For example, they have Rich Little (who plays Noah in one episode you can find on YouTube) listed as playing Richard Nixon on one. While that's a go to impression for him, would he have done that for this show? Similarly, Vincent Price (who definitely played Capt. Hook in one that can be streamed) is listed as Dr. Phibes. Again, an interesting choice, especially for Storybook Squares.

There's also some interesting hints of what could have been with the casting. Price would have been great as Captain Hook in Peter Pan, whether on stage or film, and Roddy McDowall would have been a good Sherlock Holmes beyond this show.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎