X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Mego Flash - Photo review 2021

For me this is the easily the best in the hero lot to date. Love the sculpt, outfit, and boots. Note also on the head sculpt, there is a mask lining around the eyes, so if you want to paint a variant that has the human eyes with some skin showing, its there on the sculpt. Very cool.

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks, much appreciated.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Looks good, the colors really catch the eye and I like the card art as well.

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Love the figure, but the packaging is underwhelming! Glad you took him out to play!

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
          For me this is the easily the best in the hero lot to date. Love the sculpt, outfit, and boots. Note also on the head sculpt, there is a mask lining around the eyes, so if you want to paint a variant that has the human eyes with some skin showing, its there on the sculpt. Very cool.
          Indeed I shall!! Thanks for the info.
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• zeedox
            Career Member
            • Aug 10, 2007

I am sure I am not the only one to say that getting The Flash was a bit day for the good ol' Mego collection.
            Aside from completing the main Trek crew, this is really a bit deal. I hope they make the classic Green Lantern as well.

Has anyone reflected on how Classic TV Toys versions sit in their collections now that we have Megos?

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by zeedox
              I am sure I am not the only one to say that getting The Flash was a bit day for the good ol' Mego collection.
              Aside from completing the main Trek crew, this is really a bit deal. I hope they make the classic Green Lantern as well.

Has anyone reflected on how Classic TV Toys versions sit in their collections now that we have Megos?
              Yes. Mego actually has done us -- me -- a favor by doing different versions of the DC Characters. Take The Flash. I would love to see Mego's take on a classic Silver or Bronze Age Barry Allen, but I think FTC did a fantastic job with the Flash, so I wasn't pining for a Mego version of the same. I am very happy to get this version of The Flash from Mego.

I have tried to figure out some mixing and matching, and so far, for me, the new Mego DC -- all I have is the Trinity so far -- have not mixed in well with the FTC DC, so I haven't replaced any of the Trinity figures, although I modded both new Supermans and plan to mod both new Wonder Womans, so the end result of one of tehse mods may be a Mego/FTC hybrid that becomes my main version. Otherwise, I will have to figure out how they will both co-exist on the shelf. And they will co-exist in some manner.

I am very happy to have DC Comics offerings from both Mego and FTC. With Mattel out of the DC game, and with almost no interest in PlayMates or McFarlanes DC stuff at retail, Mego and FTC are it for my DC toy purchases.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Another great review for a great figure. This wave can't get to me fast enough (pun intended).

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

These DC's are...different Megos. They aren't really made to go with the old figures, and they really don't. Outside of customs, I'm treating the DC figures as a new line, and not mixing them. Flash and Riddler are about the closest to the classics, but these, unlike the FTC figures, don't feel like a continuation of the original line. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, though I would have liked some retro versions like the current Apes in addition to the more modern style.

Comment

• darkbros
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 3, 2012

For me it has a simple thing to do:

I ask myself, "Self,..."
                    1. Do the NuMego DC Hero offerings update or are better than the existing OEM Mego / Mattel / FTC Versions?

If no, pass. If yes, then I ask myself "Self,..."

2. In what way?

I'm not a big fan of having twenty or every character in Mego form in my house. *Shrugs* its not how I collect.
                    That being said, I'm going through right now and figuring out what looks good and what resonates with me:

the 4yr old me that bought solid box figures of the first WGSH when my Dad worked at Wards in '72...

the 8yr old me that got his first set of FF Megos, and replacements for the broken T1s that had lost parts and Dad didn't want to fix anymore...

the 19yr old me that began customizing and repairing my Mego from childhood that didn't quite survive three moving experiences...

and the 51 yr old me who now has disposal income and time to adjust and curate his collection the way he wants, but
                    also enjoys NECA, MEZCO, and MCFARLANE offerings.

Some characters are simple, because they were made "right" to me the first time, so there is no need for a second or third or even just a replacement.

Riddler was one of those for me...OEM mego riddler as a skinny Type 1 is Perfection. No need for another.

John Stewart...Yeah I have the Mattel RAH version, floppy bits and all. NuMego Mego John Stewart is an improvement, so I'll switch him out ( after I fix his flaws)

Batman...well that's gonna take a bit....get back to me on that one...;P

Superman....OEM has a certain charm, but damn if I don't loove that Nu Mego headsculpt. Certainly beats Mattel RAH.....

and on, and on...
                    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎