Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I still remember seeing the original Big Jim figures and clothes while Mego were out back in the 70's. Never did understand why the went 10 inch when G. I. Joe was 12" and Mego was 8 inch. Thanks to my Mom's sewing skills she would take the outfits apart and resew them into Mego size so my brother & I could have more clothes/characters for our figures.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Big Jim was probably the best-designed classic action figure ever, and I would welcome a re-release. It would likely be very expensive, considering the complicated tooling/manufacturing.

But I welcome these homages. Of course, I'm also a huge Pulsar fan.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I think it's very exciting Mattel is digging into their catalog of IPs. It's nice to see Big Jim and MMM getting some love and Pulsar was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't think they'd ever revisit Pulsar. These "testing the waters" homages are good news for fans of those lines. You know I don't think any of this would be going on if Mattel hadn't lost the DC license. This forced them to think out of the box instead of just lazily pumping out the same DC figures and other licensed stuff they'd been doing. Same with MOTU and Monster High. Mattel has some of the most beloved IPs in the industry it's a shame they had been sitting on them so long.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

IMO, if Big Jim is released without his classic body he'll be a total flop

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

So what is Mattel Creations? Is this something like mattycollector? and they should also do captain power and bravestarr

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

I've seen them on ebay. A seller was selling them for $99.99. Too pricey for me. They come as a 3-pack. I'm only interested in Big Jim anyway, but if he's $30, then I'll pass.
                s-l1600.jpg
                s-l1600.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I'm out, damn. It's like MOTU Classics all over agaim...

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Its amazing how something can sit in front of you for decades and you never notice the most obvious thing jumping right out at you. I realized it when I thought how interesting that Mattel was putting out Pulsar with Big Jim. Then I got to looking at the faces between Big Jeff and Pulsar. WTH... They definitely had the same daddy or the sculptor kept using similar facial features without straying much from the original design.

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

How are these going to be sold?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.
                          I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.
                            I actually could imagine Mattel and Netflix rebooting Captain Power, with some sort of interactivity akin to the Bandersnatch episode of Black Mirror. Both the toys and the show were ahead of their time.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                              I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.
                              I agree, with face-changing and other features. Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.
                                And Big Jim had lots of Barbie hand me downs. Mattel was never one to waste a good mold.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎