X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Mego Cornelius (2021 Edition) - photo review

Thought I would pull in both vintage and current editions just for fun. I liked the fact that Mego of today made them similar, BUT with enough differences to let Cornelius shine in a different presentation.

• Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for the great photos! I love the comparison of the differences between the two. Can't wait to get mine!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

thanks for the photos. the painted head actually gives him more of an animated look. is the costume a shade of green or brown?

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

It seems NeMego went with the Auroa brown outfit instead of the movie green.
        AuroraPlanetApesCornelius_SideA.jpg

Also kinda disappointed in the feet, was hoping to get the ape feet, could have at least used the werewolf feet.
        PotA-Wave-2-group-1300.jpgNew Mego Wolfman.jpg
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Mar 29, '21, 6:21 PM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I like it and love the card as well. Is the good Dr. Zaius coming soon?

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Delighted to have new Apes and I'm diggin' all the color changes. Wish that idea would have been applied to Zaius too. Suppose as a simian fanboy I'm going to be more critical than casual fans…

Unfortunately in the early photos I'm seeing out there, Corny's clothing is poorly cut/styled. Looks like his tunic is very short and even the pants seem ill fitted.

Also the card art… ehhh, it wasn't all that great back in 1998 when it was first used repetitively on commemorative merch for years to follow. Decades later I was hoping Mego would have been inspired by the packaging of recent NECA and Super7 products. Dynamic, original art would have been an excellent and praised addition to the Mego Apes-verse.

Oh, and gods no, I never want to see werewolf feet on an Ape!… Mego has some excellent sculptors working on heads, they can handle Ape feet too.
            Last edited by Confessional; Mar 30, '21, 8:56 AM. Reason: …last gasp; get it right humans!

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks for the pictures and comparison! I am not an Apes fan, but they look like fun.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Confessional
                Delighted to have new Apes and I'm diggin' all the color changes. Wish that idea would have been applied to Zaius too. Suppose as a simian fanboy I'm going to be more critical than casual fans…

Unfortunately in the early photos I'm seeing out there, Corny's clothing is poorly cut/styled. Looks like his tunic is very short and even the pants seem ill fitted.

Also the card art… ehhh, it wasn't all that great back in 1998 when it was first used repetitively on commemorative merch for years to follow. Decades later I was hoping Mego would have been inspired by the packaging of recent NECA and Super7 products. Dynamic, original art would have been an excellent and praised addition to the Mego Apes-verse.

Oh, and gods no, I never want to see werewolf feet on an Ape!… Mego has some excellent sculptors working on heads, they can handle Ape feet too.
                I agree with you on Cornelius' clothing...cut,length, stitching & fit all seem off to me too. Even still, the fact that The Apes are back makes me very, very happy!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

But those were originally Mugato ape feet molds--I never thought they suited a wolf-man.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

While I don't mind the variation in clothing color, the hands just look wrong-Why use a Gorilla colored body for a Chimp?

Also, agreed that the ill-fitting clothing is something that should be addressed... And why not do the pressed in lines that go down from the neck area of his collar? If they could do the hieroglyphic design, they could have (and should have) done the rest of it...

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by apes3978
                      While I don't mind the variation in clothing color, the hands just look wrong-Why use a Gorilla colored body for a Chimp?

Also, agreed that the ill-fitting clothing is something that should be addressed... And why not do the pressed in lines that go down from the neck area of his collar? If they could do the hieroglyphic design, they could have (and should have) done the rest of it...
                      I also miss the extra detail in the tunic leather, but I'm really liking the body color changes, just a little paint on the pads & fingers...voila! I think with the body color change they could have dropped the fur on the cuffs altogether and gone with a similar textured fabric that was used on the original Zira.

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        But those were originally Mugato ape feet molds--I never thought they suited a wolf-man.
                        agreed - the Mugato feet are giant ape feet. If they used rubber like the stuff Gabriel used to use for Lone Ranger, or Mattel's Big Jim Wolf Pak boots, you could probably even have boots/shoes for them. They could also just use formed boots over regular feet, like with Cowardly Lion.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                          I'm really liking the body color changes, just a little paint on the pads & fingers...voila!
                          If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying just paint the dark hands tan to match the head and leave the dark hair on his hands intact? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to paint the fur on his hands brown if they had used tan for the body color?

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                            I think with the body color change they could have dropped the fur on the cuffs altogether and gone with a similar textured fabric that was used on the original Zira.
                            If they did that, that'd be getting into ultra detailed figure territory and they'd start charging us a premium for it.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by rche
                              agreed - the Mugato feet are giant ape feet. If they used rubber like the stuff Gabriel used to use for Lone Ranger, or Mattel's Big Jim Wolf Pak boots, you could probably even have boots/shoes for them. They could also just use formed boots over regular feet, like with Cowardly Lion.
                              Formed "ape feet" shoes over the regular feet wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎