Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever buy food from Food Trucks or Hot Dog stands ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
    Oh, you California guys are so spoiled...

Before the shutdown, we had caravans that would show up throughout the week in various areas around the county as well as random trucks on random corners/lots. Haven't seen much lately other than a few randoms here and there. I enjoy(ed) them, and when the caravans were nearby, we would make an evening out of it; ride our bikes there, order dinner from the trucks, catch a movie across the street, hit up Cold Stone afterwards and pedal home. I really miss those days.

The trucks all seem very clean, and there are usually public restrooms nearby where ever the caravans meet up. And I would say we would spend an average of about $10-12 each for our meals, some higher/lower of course.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Problem with BBQ places (trucks or brick and mortar buildings) is they are so dang expensive.

My tiny one-horse town opened a new BBQ restaurant last year.

Guy is from Texas --- don't ask me why (of all places in the USA) he came to the Pocono's

His prices are incredibly expensive --- Like who has the money to spend $30.00 on a burger, fries and coke ?

I thought the Poconos region of PA is/was a pretty popular tourist destination?

He probably figured tourist destination equals tourists with disposable vacation money...

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

I am not sure if they're still around, but there used to be a hot dog cart that would be in the vicinity of some of the downtown clubs/bars, doing good business from the drinking crowd.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by apes3978
          I thought the Poconos region of PA is/was a pretty popular tourist destination?

He probably figured tourist destination equals tourists with disposable vacation money...
          It is a VERY popular tourist destination -- especially since the pandemic

Our local Delaware River canoe rentals are sold out almost every weekend

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

Problem with BBQ places (trucks or brick and mortar buildings) is they are so dang expensive.
            His prices are incredibly expensive --- Like who has the money to spend $30.00 on a burger, fries and coke ?
            You can get an entry level charcoal smoker for under $100. Fill the tray with charcoal and toss in a few chunks of hickory or mesquite, put the meat (and some veg) on the racks, and just check back every half hour, or so, to add a little more charcoal. Every 2 weeks or so, I smoke a salmon fillet, 1/2 of a pork loin, tomatoes, and maybe some chuck. I can experiment with sauces & rubs, though the salmon is sublime as-is. The pork I can slice into chops and finish on the grill. Eat like a king at normal grocery store prices. The only caveat is that there's smoke, and while I'm all set now in the 'burbs, I wouldn't have been too popular back in my row house in Philly blowing smoke into the neighbor's house.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I live around the corner from Fenway Park. During baseball season my wife and I go over the Italian Sausage Guy stand outside the park a couple of times. Once we sat on the side of the Green Monster during batting practice. Seven, yes seven, balls flew out of the park during the time we ate our sandwiches.

When I lived in NYC, there was an awesome Halal truck outside of my gym. The proprietor always gave me a free drink because I once wore a jersey from his hometown soccer club, Al Ahly of Cairo. (I also collect soccer jersey from places I visit)
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                .................The proprietor always gave me a free drink because I once wore a jersey from his hometown soccer club, Al Ahly of Cairo...……….
                They have a really cool logo - just looked them up

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎