X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoMonk
    Career Member
    • Jan 22, 2007

Least popular Mego 8 inch line??

Of all of the original Mego 8 inch lines of figures from the 70s/early 80s, which one would you consider the least popular with collectors? I would say the Waltons, which seems to be the line that gets the least amount of posts on the Forums. The Our Gang line does not seem too popular either.
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

and I think there was a Cavemen line of Megos I don’t see get much talked about.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

For me it's def the Waltons. In an era of Superheroes, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Apes, file that one under "What were they thinking?"

Comment

• tllgn
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 6, 2010

I think the walton's were very well done.
        I would say the least is the our gang series.their cheap still on the market

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
          For me it's def the Waltons. In an era of Superheroes, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Apes, file that one under "What were they thinking?"
          I'll bet they were thinking, "The license was cheap, let's do a 'girl's' line to compete with Mattel's popular Sunshine Family." Mego was never one to put all their eggs in one basket

It's nice, well-made line, honestly.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

For me it would be Mego's Our Gang line

LOVED the show but had absolutely no interest in having the Mego figures..

Even as a 70's kid I could work with a Walton's figure customizing it to something I might like.

IMO, Our Gang had nothing to work with …

WORST 8" Mego line EVER - imo

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I would say it’s probably the Waltons line, well at least for boys. I remember never seeing them at local toy stores, probably because they were in the girls section. It would make sense since the line was more meant for girls than boys, plus the box pics for the house and county stores had little girls playing with them and not boys, although if I had seen it, I might have got the truck and John Boy since I did watch it every week.

I will say that one of the best mego likeness for a figure was John Boy Richard Thomas, pretty much spot on, including the mole.

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I'll bet they were thinking, "The license was cheap, let's do a 'girl's' line to compete with Mattel's popular Sunshine Family." Mego was never one to put all their eggs in one basket

It's nice, well-made line, honestly.
                True, plus Ideal had Jody: "An Old Fashioned Girl" doll

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes, I forgot Jody--that line has fantastic accessories.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

^Yes, it sure did, some of which are Mego compatible.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I thought the Cowboy & Indian lineup was just off.

Buffalo Bill was known for his yellow wavy hair so why did they do him in grey short hair.

Cochise outfit is nowhere near what they he would wear and again looks like a generic Indian.

Davey Crockett looks just like the tv series, I did own one back in the day.

Sitting Bull again doesn't look anything like him.

Wild Bill Hickock & Wyatt Earp are closer to there actual real looks. I had one of these that my brother and I would use as Batman 66 Shane.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                        I thought the Cowboy & Indian lineup was just off.
                        Buffalo Bill was known for his yellow wavy hair so why did they do him in grey short hair.
                        I think you mean Custer had yellow hair. Cody late in his career (with the Wild West show) did have gray hair, and so the figure matched that (the question would be why not make him with dark hair, more like his days as a scout. I always thought the Excel "Legends of the West" was overall better sculpts, and I get what you mean about Mego's feeling somewhat generic.

To merge points in this thread, I've always wanted to get the General Store from the Waltons for a display setup with the Western line.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Hard to really know what was universally unpopular back then because it was impossible to capture a pulse outside of your own neighborhood. I was nine when the WGSH first hit in solid boxes. Action Jackson was definitely making waves with my friends up to that point, then the heroes became pretty much the main vibe. After that it was Apes and Trek. Everything else was pretty low key beyond that. I remember Waltons and Our Gang but neither were ever a thing in our circle. Even Starsky & Hutch went fairly quiet. I think they got lost in that jumble of cop oriented waves that LJN was putting out with the Rookies and Swat. Those really dominated store shelves back then, as did AHI monsters.

I'll tell you what really passed by virtually unnoticed. It was the Teen Titans. As much as that line got celebrated later by those giving the brand a retrospective, their distribution in my hometown was so sporadic I never even laid eyes on an actual KidFlash until the 90's at a toy show. What really hurt them was not having a commercial, which was really important back then. If I had not picked the superheroes catalogue at that time, I never would have even known to look for them. I remember seeing Speedy and Aqualad, but I was dead set on having something that resembled Flash. So it actually never occurred to me as kid to notice they were smaller since I never owned one. When I finally put eyes on Kidflash as a young adult I was stunned at his scale. So funny how the iconic mentions in this line were barely a blip on the radar back in the day. I think sometimes being unpopular or less known contributed to those legacies.

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

I just looked up Jody on ebay and she was pretty cute.

I loved her hair; not even Dinah-mite had hair that long!

If she'd had a fully articulated body, Mego might have had some competition.
                            JediJaida

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

For some reason I bought all the playsets to Jody due to the fact that there sere selling cheap several years ago. I think I still have them packed away.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎