Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite obscure and almost forgotten TV series.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by TrekStar
    Did they ever make an animated series of Emergency or am I thinking of something else?
    I had to google it. They did! Emergency +4
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

I don't know that any TV series is truly lost or forgotten in the age of instant information. But a few of the ones I remember fondly you don't hear much about are anything from the Krofft Supershow. Wonderbug, Dr. Shinker and Electra Woman and Dynagirl, though they aren't as obscure.

And then there's Lidsville, another Krofft product done right after HR Pufnstuf. That thing had to be the afterbirth of an acid-induced nightmare daydream, but I loved it as a kid.

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Another TV show I've been currently watching that you don't hear much about anymore is Norman Lear's "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman." I was too young to watch it when it first came out, but I bought the complete series boxed set a few years ago. I watched the first 150 episodes, but grew tired of it, so I took a break, but last week I started up again. Truly a dark comedy spoofing soap operas, and tackling controversial subject matters that were hot topics back in the day. There's no laugh track and the humor is subtle, so you either get the jokes or you don't.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by RonnyG
          Another TV show I've been currently watching that you don't hear much about anymore is Norman Lear's "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."
          I was also too young for this, but I do remember that it caused some kind of controversy back in the day. I don't remember what it was, I just remember a lot of talk about it.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

It has a bit of a cult following so I don't know if it qualifies as obscure, but ADORE The Adventures of Pete and Pete! It was a kid's show, but just askew enough to be truly original stuff.

I love the episode where little Pete has to coat himself in floor wax to escape his nemesis Pit Stain and Paper Cut and reach the school auditorium to dance with Iggy Pop's daughter. PIPE!

Comment

• shaunaconda
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 29, 2020

Wow lots of cool shows mentioned. On late Saturday nights I watch flip through channels like Cozi tv, Me tv, Antenna, Heroes & Icons and so on. Lots of late 60’s and 70’s shows on there. I never knew of The Invaders, which is pretty cool. Didn’t know about Time Tunnel either.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 29, 2020

Also some fairly recent shows that didn’t last too long, and I thought were really good:
                Jeremiah on Showtime
                Dark Angel on FOX, although probably not too obscure.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Another 90's show with a cult following I love is Strangers with Candy, an over-the-top parody of After School Specials. At age 46, Jerry Blank returns to complete high school after 30 drug-addicted years, in and out of jail, turning tricks for smack. Classic teen problems ensue.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^Huge fan.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by shaunaconda
                      Dark Angel on FOX, although probably not too obscure.
                      Oh yeah. That was when FOX was starting a ton of great shows, then turning around and canceling them a short time later.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

I'll third Strangers With Candy.

Mine are probably ones no one remembers. Lazarus Man, Journeyman, and Brisco County Jr. Also a big fan of Friday the 13th the series, no connection to the movies.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                          I'll third Strangers With Candy.

Mine are probably ones no one remembers. Lazarus Man, Journeyman, and Brisco County Jr. Also a big fan of Friday the 13th the series, no connection to the movies.
                          I did watch Journeyman, it was pretty cool!
                          If I really think about it, there are many many shows that I watched that didn’t last too long, or weren’t watched much.
                          Just off the top of my head I can think of:
                          The Lizzie Borden Chronicles
                          Witchblade
                          Blade
                          Total Recall 2070

Comment

• shaunaconda
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by tay666
                            Oh yeah. That was when FOX was starting a ton of great shows, then turning around and canceling them a short time later.
                            Yeah like Firefly!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Another show that just wasn't given its chance was Kindred The Embraced:Julian Luna, prince of several disparate vampire, or kindred, clans in San Francisco, has his job cut out for him as he must try to keep a tenuous peace among them while not being afraid to apply ruthless justice against those who would break kindred rules. Infractions that merit "final death" include the taking of human life and changing humans into vampires who have not volunteered for the transformation.
                              vhs.jpg

Kindred-the-embraced.jpg

Kindred the Embraced ad.jpg
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Falstaff13
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                                I agree, especially with Lazarus Man & Brisco County. I liked the premise of Friday the 13th the Series and found many were good. It had uneven moments, but I loved the ones with RG Armstrong appearing.
                                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎