Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite obscure and almost forgotten TV series.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Favorite obscure and almost forgotten TV series.

Mine the Charmings

and Wizards and Warriors.

When 'Bring 'Em Back Alive' failed (posted in this series), 'Wizards' was brought in as a mid-season replacement. It had a shorter run than the show it repla...
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

My favorite obscure and forgotten show is Dangerous Women, an early '90s syndicated night-time soap by the creator of Prisoner: Cell Block H. I don't think it was ever re-run again in the U.S., and is not out on DVD.

Just recently watched the whole series on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9oaRkAaE0

Comment

• Dark Shadow
      Creature Of The Night
      • May 14, 2011

When I was a kid, I loved watching The Magician with Bill Bixby and The Invisible Man with David McCallum.

I just realized a trend...lol

Favorite New Fall TV Shows:

Fall of 1973: The Magician; Cancelled after 1 season
      Fall of 1974: Planet Of The Apes; Cancelled after 1 season
      Fall of 1975: The Invisible Man; Cancelled after 1 season (plus the first syndication of Dark Shadows; Cancelled after 6 months)

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My Dad and I enjoyed watching The Master with Lee Van Cleef. I'm not sure how it holds up now, but I bought him the DVD box set for his birthday this month. I guess it's not completely forgotten, but it's rarely mentioned.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Salvage-1

Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• LardLad
            Museum Patron
            • Mar 13, 2012

The Starlost, early 1970's. Great concept - multi-generational ship 50 miles long with dozens of environment domes holding different societies, which over time forget that they are on a starship. Three people discover the ship is on a collision course with a star and go from dome to dome hoping to correct the ship's course. The implementation of the concept was less than perfect. The writer who created the original story and sold it to the network, Harlan Ellison, was so horrified by the result that he forced them to remove his name - he is credited as Cordwainer Bird.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Manimal...freaking loved it!

Also, the Teen Wolf cartoon. It was actually better than the movie.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Star Maidens

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Going along with some listed above, I remember liking The Charmings (and later actually using it when I taught a course on fairy tales), and I was a big fan of The Master, which aired for me at just the right age to be into the (to me new) Ninja craze. I've always like Lee Van Cleef, and that show had a pattern of a teacher with new students facing (at times) his former student, turned evil. I was 8 watching this, and I realized it was the archetype at play with Star Wars (Obi-Wan/Vader/Luke), the D&D cartoon (DM/Venger/Eric, Sheila, Hank, etc.), and the original Captain Marvel/Shazam (Shazam/Black Adam/the Marvel Family). I thought I was brilliant to figure this out, long before I ever encountered Campbellian mythos.

I definitely understand the "I watch it, and then it's cancelled" feel. I'm still waiting on the final part of The Tripods to see completion. And while Brisco County had a cult following, The Life and Times of Ned Blessing, which premiered the same fall and was also an interesting weird western, seemed to fade into obscurity.

But as food for thought, here are some (in no real order) that come to mind:
                  Strange
                  Hex
                  Apparitions (all British horror/fantasy)
                  Raffles (British mystery, based on the Hornung novels)
                  MythQuest (a Canadian tween fantasy show)
                  Galaxy High (Saturday morning SF cartoon)
                  Jim Henson's Animal Show (JHC production from the mid 1990s that I remember as fun/educational)
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Here are some of my favorites over the years, that were gone too soon...

Otherworld - Cool sci-fi show about a family transported through the pyramids to a parallel dimension.

Max Headroom - Sure, Max burned bright in pop culture with the New Coke ads and TV appearances, but few people seem to remember the ABC show. It was well written dystopian sci-fi.

American Gothic- A great creepy show. I remember the kid (Lucas Black, the kid from Slingblade and a bunch of stuff since) was really good in it.

And Richter Controls the Universe - An absolutely brilliant comedy that was probably too smart for network tv.

Vagrant Queen - This Syfy show just aired last year, but nobody but me seemed to watch it... which is shame, because it is a fun, winking at the camera, "Gaurdians of the Galaxy"-esque sort of space opera. The season is pretty self-contained though, so I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

Manimal Automan Lucan

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I recall really enjoying Manimal (which I have on DVD) and Lucan.
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 26, '21, 6:05 PM.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 24, 2020

The Phoenix 1982 starman 1986-87 Too Closse for Comfort !980-1983 the orginal ABC run before it went into syndicated

Freaks and Geeks 1999-2000 set in 1980-81 Brilliant show the Wonder Years of Generation X

THe Highwayman !987 NBC Sam Jones
                          Last edited by toyhunter1970; Mar 26, '21, 6:49 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
                            THe Highwayman !987 NBC Sam Jones
                            No mention of Jacko!? Oy!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

My all time fav will be SeaQuest DSV
                              SeaQuest DSV 2.jpgSeaquest DSV poster.jpg
                              a 2.jpga 1.jpg

This was the first show that I really got into. I helped in the mail fan clubs, sold SeaQuest DSV items, did actually reporting, and meet most of the stars. Became close friends with one. First real custom figures I made and sold to fans. I really wish this show would get a reboot.
                              Last edited by monitor_ep; Mar 26, '21, 9:00 PM.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎