X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Build history: 9art The Riddler

For some reason, as a little boy growing up, I never owned MEGO’s action figure of THE RIDDLER. There was no particular reason for this. After all, I liked the character well enough from re-runs of the ’66 Batman TV series, and even his several appearances in the pages of DC Comics titles throughout the 1970’s. Dear ol’ mom and dad just never got around to gifting me the Prince of Puzzlers. Go figure.

My first good look at THE RIDDLER was years later in the late 1980’s when I purchased a loose specimen (as a “vintage collectible”) during my first visit to a weekend comic book and toy show here in New York City. I remember thinking he was an adorable-looking figure, even though I was more than a bit puzzled by the choice to dress him in a purple version of The Batman’s utility belt. I understood why (as a toy of the 1970’s) there was very little in the way of menace sculpted onto his facial features. I just wished that his unitard was a bit more form-fitted to look less like pajamas. LOL!

A wonderful figure nevertheless.

As one of the major villains in The Batman’s rogues gallery, THE RIDDLER, was a MUST to be included in my roster of 9ART Gotham City custom action figure villains.

I’ve never really regarded Eddie Nashton AKA Edward Nygma AKA “The Riddler” as an individual with a particularly distinctive character face since there have been so many interpretation (in live action, animation, video games, etc). So my only primary goals when sculpting his face was to create…
    … vaguely Nordic features (somewhat German), with a prominent strong nose…
    …the beginnings of a receding hairline, reinforced with slicked back hair (to create a larger forehead area to make him seem “cerebral”)
    … arched eyebrows (to suggest sly, underhanded, nefarious plotting and calculation)
    …a knowing smirk (to suggest deliberate villainous malice)

Head sculpting is NOT AT ALL my favorite task of action figure design / customizing. But this Riddler head sculpt came together reasonably quickly.

The velvety Royal purple mask I made for The Riddler head sculpt to wear really reinforced the evil vibe of othe figure even before he had a finished body and clothes!

Among my long-time collected fabrics was some really rich, beautifully vibrant Kelly green stretch milliskin. Looking back, I purchased that fabric years ago, specifically for use on this custom figure.

I fashioned a nice, snug, set of tights for The Riddler, and covered the garment in hundreds of vinyl die cut question marks.

The only accessory that custom Riddler needed to finish off his look was a nice question mark- headed walking cane. I drew a design for the cane and then scratch built it using real brass parts.

Some packaging, inserts, and a character file card for Mr. Riddler...

Window Box Design and layout by Darklord1967

Art by Brian Bolland. Digital compositing by darklord1967. Written text by darklord1967

I Hope you'll enjoy the FINISHED 9ART THE RIDDLER CUSTOM ACTION FIGURE HERE

Last edited by darklord1967; Mar 22, '21, 11:10 AM.
    I... am an action figure customizer
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎