X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayray
    • May 21, 2013

Where to post custom requests?

Hi all,
    I’m needing some guidance, y’all. Both here and on Facebook, I’ve posted request for particular custom Megos. It seems like each time, folks respond with suggestions for how I might craft the custom figure. Now, one thing I know is that between now and death, I’m highly unlikely to develop the dexterity to follow through on these suggestions and become a customizer myself. I really just want to pay others to craft what I cannot do.

Where is it appropriate to post requests for skilled customizers, both in these forums and elsewhere?

Thanks,
    Ray
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

It’s not that it’s inappropriate, It’s just that taking on a custom commission is a nightmare job, and it’s typically not worth the effort.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I'll bite. Post what you are looking for.

Comment

• rayray
        • May 21, 2013

Originally posted by sprytel
        I'll bite. Post what you are looking for.
        Well alrighty! Here are a few:

Wonder Woman TV season 1 Etta Candy.
        Nasthalthia Luthor, from Mike Sekowsky Supergirl era.
        Silver Age style Queen Hippolyte (a la Wonder Woman Ross Andru/Mike Esposito issues)

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Those are not figures that a custom builder would have a ready "template" for. The heads would need to be custom sculpted and/or rooted. The outfit would need to be designed in addition to being sewn. I think you could easily be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 for a completed custom. Was that in the range you were looking to spend?

Comment

• ToyTalk
            Career Member
            • Mar 25, 2020

There are customizers out there but Sprytel and CrimsonGhost are correct in the price range. Actually, Sprytel is being generous. Customs, if a template does not exist, is likely to be closer to $400-$500. If a template exist you can expect the @250-$350 range. The trick is finding a customizer that is willing to do a custom without an existing template. For instance, I would LOVE to find someone that can do 8" Star Wars figures or Back to the Future characters. My overall top of the list would be John Wayne in True Grit. To date, I haven't found anyone willing. :(

However, having a thread where folks like us can post what customs we would like to see done would be nice. Then customizers could take a look, see if they want to take them on, and then set a price. Buyers get the toys they want and customizers can make some extra cash for their spare time.
            Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

$250 would be a bargain in my opinion.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Slawsb
                • Oct 7, 2020

Queen Hippolyte is being released in an homage to the Lynda Carter 12" series as an 8" figure so she would be close

Comment

• rayray
                  • May 21, 2013

Hey folks, I appreciate the information about the general challenges and price ranges! I'm tapping out of any discussion around specific custom requests for now, but want to champion the idea of a thread for customer requests. In this way, we don't interrupt the general flow of discussion between customizers, and allow folks who are willing to take on custom commissions to bid/offer/etc.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎