X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mod Style
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 1, 2009

Atomic Man's eye

Hey guys, I just picked up an Atomic man and his atomic eye is totally missing. I want to restore it. Can anyone show me a picture or even describe the part that went from his eye to the hole in his head that lets in light.

Thanks, Joe
  • Ninersphan1
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 27, 2009

Its just clear plastic. I've never seen or even heard of one being removed. Not even sure how you would do that without cutting the head in half

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's curved, clear plastic light-pipe. The upper portion that fits into the crown of the head has a circular ridge on the edge that secures it into the vinyl.

The other end butts inside the head against the eye-hole, and a small, clear eye-"button" is glued from the external eyeball into the pipe to secure it.

You might be able to make one from bent transparent model sprue or acrylic rods.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

or buy another one on ebay. Atomic man generally goes for very little, unless prices have changed recently

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Go to YouTube and look for Toy Tinker Tim. He should have a video on how to do the repair.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^That's a great video, thanks.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Yeah I've had a couple over the years that someone dug the plastic tube out. I'd probably throw it in the box and find a better one.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i think the eye piece is actually 2 pieces of clear plastic. sometimes they just fall out

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  i think the eye piece is actually 2 pieces of clear plastic. sometimes they just fall out
                  Yes, two--see my post above.

I think I have an extra stem but no eye-button.

Comment

• Capt Kirk
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 15, 2005

Great suggestions already, here- but I had an idea that you might like to try...
                    -Get an LED bulb with a simple switch, any color you like, that'll fit inside the head- holidays like St. Patty's, you can find these types for cheap, practically everywhere.
                    -Block the head hole with tape or glue a small bit of material over it from the inside.
                    -Feed the cord/battery back out of the head once you mount the head- you could even run it through the torso with a little work.
                    -The result isn't original issue, of course-but now Mike Power's ready to go adventuring! With a touch of a button, he's pretty darn atomic!
                    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• Mod Style
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 1, 2009

Originally posted by Capt Kirk
                      Great suggestions already, here- but I had an idea that you might like to try...
                      -Get an LED bulb with a simple switch, any color you like, that'll fit inside the head- holidays like St. Patty's, you can find these types for cheap, practically everywhere.
                      -Block the head hole with tape or glue a small bit of material over it from the inside.
                      -Feed the cord/battery back out of the head once you mount the head- you could even run it through the torso with a little work.
                      -The result isn't original issue, of course-but now Mike Power's ready to go adventuring! With a touch of a button, he's pretty darn atomic!
                      Thats SUPER Atomic!! What I wound up doing was: I have an unfinished Invisible Man model kit. You know those little frames that all the pieces are attached to? The ones with the beakers and test tubes are clear. I cut a right angle piece, Dremeled one end down small enough to fit through the eye, sanded the exposed part to roughly eyeball shape. the other end went through the hole in the top of the head. Secured everything with hot glue. The top of the head hole was slightly bigger than the plastic piece, so I filled in around it with super glue. Worked like a charm!! I shined a light down on the head and the eye lit up like an Atomic Man!!

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mod Style
                        Thats SUPER Atomic!! What I wound up doing was: I have an unfinished Invisible Man model kit. You know those little frames that all the pieces are attached to? The ones with the beakers and test tubes are clear. I cut a right angle piece, Dremeled one end down small enough to fit through the eye, sanded the exposed part to roughly eyeball shape. the other end went through the hole in the top of the head. Secured everything with hot glue. The top of the head hole was slightly bigger than the plastic piece, so I filled in around it with super glue. Worked like a charm!! I shined a light down on the head and the eye lit up like an Atomic Man!!
                        Great fix for that!
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Model sprues are so handy, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎