X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

25th anniversary of The Birdcage

It is hard to believe that today marks the a 25th anniversary of Robin Williams The Birdcage
    Birdcage 2.jpgBirdcage 1.jpg

Armand Goldman owns a popular drag nightclub in South Miami Beach. His long-time lover, Albert, stars there as Starina. "Their" son Val (actually Armand's by his one heterosexual fling, twenty years before) comes home to announce his engagement to Barbara Keeley, daughter of Kevin Keeley, US Senator, and co-founder of the Committee for Moral Order. The Senator and family descend upon South Beach to meet Val, his father and "mother." What ensues is comic chaos.
    A gay movie in the late 90's with big names
    Robin Williams as Armand Goldman
    Gene Hackman as Senator Kevin Keeley
    Nathan Lane as Albert Goldman
    Dianne Wiest as Louise Keeley
    Dan Futterman as Val Goldman
    Calista Flockhart as Barbara Keeley
    Hank Azaria as Agador Spartacus
    Christine Baranski as Katharine Archer, Val's mother
    Tom McGowan as Harry Radman
    Grant Heslov as National Enquirer photographer

A gay movie that "topped" the box office was really unheard of. I remember hearing about this and my local Blockbuster had the original movie this as based on 1978 Franco-Italian film La Cage aux Folles. So of coarse I rented it and watched it with then boyfriend, then the next day we went and watched The Birdcage. I do not know if we laughed because the humor or the fact that we saw ourselves in some of the situations. This movie brought the attention to Drag Queens to the general audience why before RuPaul's Drag Race. Nathan Lane was extremely funny, and watching Robin Williams try to tone done his antics is funny unto itself.

What surprised me was the fact that my Great-Aunt who taught French at College and was a missionary watched the original trilogy and then went at watch The Birdcage. We talked about all four of the movies. That was the first time I had a conversation about anything gay related. This may by why I like this movie.

I am surprised there isn't a 25th anniversary release of this movie.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

A very funny movie. One of my favorite comedies. What a fantastic cast. I don't even mind Calista Flockhart in this one. I do wonder though, if like Blazing Saddles, does it still hold up? Both are just hysterical, but contain the humor of the time they were made. Some comedies, like Young Frankenstein or Christmas Vacation, seem timeless.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Blazing Saddles holds up just fine
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎