X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

1981 TSR Dungeon board game commercial.

This is kind of an obscure one. The commercial, not the game. The game is great.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Paperback hero
    • Mar 20, 2012

Loved this game. A great stepping stone into the roleplaying game. I've been looking for this version for my son, but I settled on the 2015 edition...which doesn't hit the same way

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I have the vaguest memory of this commercial. Thanks for sharing.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by Paperback hero
        Loved this game. A great stepping stone into the roleplaying game. I've been looking for this version for my son, but I settled on the 2015 edition...which doesn't hit the same way
        Really?? What did they change in the game play?? I have the version in the commercial and have always assumed the newer versions simply updated the graphics but kept the same game play. Curious to know what the differences are.

Oh and I have ZERO recollection of that commercial.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 24, 2020

man does this bring it back thank you sir

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Speaking as a cusp Baby-Boom/Generation X-er this is VERY satanic

Playing this is the Devil's work

Save yourself and go back to playing Mego Ballbuster before it's too late

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
              Speaking as a cusp Baby-Boom/Generation X-er this is VERY satanic
              You say it like it's a bad thing.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Ninersphan1
                Really?? What did they change in the game play??
                The 2012-2014 versions go back to the original rules. The classes were changed from Elf, Wizard, Hero and Super Hero to Cleric, Rogue, Fighter and Wizard. Game play and board layout is the same but artwork is different. 2012 version has more realistic art and the 2014 is more cartoony. Both are fine.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Wow! Thanks for posting. Haven't see that one since it aired. Great memories!

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by SeattleEd
                    Wow! Thanks for posting. Haven't see that one since it aired. Great memories!
                    Oh, cool, glad people enjoyed it.

Here's the D&D commercial I really remember. It's for the 81 D&D basic set. It's the first D&D set I had.

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

I don't know that I ever saw that commercial before, but I had the Dungeon game and along with Dark Tower, they dominated all my game play in 8th grade ('82-'83 school year) at my household. I had discovered D&D at the tail end of '81, but we moved after 7th grade and I couldn't find anyone to play D&D in the new town until I hit high school, but Dungeon and Dark Tower always had takers (and/or were played solo at times).

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎