Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wish_It_Was1984
    • Feb 19, 2021

Is There a Way to Spot Repro Suits?

I recently bought what was billed as a vintage Spider-Man off eBay with a great condition suit. Just got it and the suit looks like the toy was never played with.

I tried my best to find vintage versions and compare the printing/sewing, but everything seemed legit as far as I could tell. It's just crazy to think this is really a 45-ish year old costume that looks and feels this new.

I'm actually ok with it though because I knew it being a repro could be a possibility, and I don't imagine you can really tell for sure, but I'm just curious if I missed a telltale sign.

Either way, it's a tight Type 1 body and makes for a great display piece
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Repro costumes aren't made of the same material.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Nor the same definition or saturation of printing.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
        • Feb 19, 2021

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        Repro costumes aren't made of the same material.
        Considering the time difference, I would expect not.

Problem is, I'm a long-time toy collector, but Mego was not a primary part of my collection. The Spider-Man I have is the only Mego figure I own.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
          • Feb 19, 2021

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Nor the same definition or saturation of printing.
          That sounds right but without having any examples or frame of reference to determine what is not detailed enough, or too saturated, I'm afraid that doesn't help.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I suppose you'll have to post some pix, or review some vintage suits in the gallery versus some printed suits in the custom forums here.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
              • Feb 19, 2021

I suppose you'll have to post some pix, or review some vintage suits in the gallery versus some printed suits in the custom forums here.
              I can definitely post some photos if others can pinpoint differences somehow. I'll do so right after this post. I will say that comparing gallery vs. custom forums here seems to have a myriad of issues. First, are the customs in "Customs" one-off or mass-produced suits? Are the suits in the "Gallery" really vintage?

The whole point of real vs. repro is to have confirmed examples of them side by side.

This is already done in "Mego Fact" with the seemingly popular "Is It Original or Repro? The MegoMuseum Accessory Check" page. Which does not mention suit variations outside of symbols for the Spider-Man figure.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
                • Feb 19, 2021

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

That's a vintage suit.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
                    • Feb 19, 2021

That's a vintage suit.
                    Great to hear and I appreciate you taking a look. Would you mind clarifying exactly how you know that? Just for my own information so I can learn the difference. Thanks.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

It looks nothing like a repro. It's super easy to spot an original Spidey. He's a type 1 figure.

Comment

• Wish_It_Was1984
                        • Feb 19, 2021

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        It looks nothing like a repro. It's super easy to spot an original Spidey. He's a type 1 figure.
                        Yeah, the figure is easy to figure out, but not so much the suit, unless you're very familiar with Mego.

For someone who's not, like me, is it quantifiable so other toy collector's who are casual Mego collector's can figure it out?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

There are a few different style Spidey costumes. I can't explain how to tell, but the repro costumes will never look like an original. The material is different. I don't think you could find material like the originals were made of nowadays.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Wish_It_Was1984

It’s definitely original because of the fading spots on the front thighs, if it were repro it would probably be a bit darker blue and no fading spots. Was their a mego tag inside the suit?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think it looks like it has fading spots. I think that's an artifact of the photography. It does look like it has a slight split in the right arm seam, though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎