Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New FTC Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, and Nubia?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KOMonger
    Banned
    • Feb 17, 2015

Last edited by KOMonger; Apr 5, '21, 4:57 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• tllgn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2010

I up graded wonder women to a articulated body which fits good and added proper boots and lasso .
      She came out nice for what she is.i put a pic on figures toy company fans ,next I'll upgrade the Queen.

Comment

• rayray
        • May 21, 2013

I received my Hippolyta, which was ordered before I viewed the out of box pics I posted on Gramercyplace's behalf.

You know, years ago, I worked in a small tech startup. One of my team was a blonde woman who would, ahem, "self medicate" during the day. She always thought no one else could tell, and she'd get this bizarre look in her eyes when the, ahem, "medication" started to kick in and she realized she had to hide her high. Hippolyta looks JUST LIKE HER.

Tllgn, I will follow your and Gramercyplace's leads, and replace the heads onto an articulated body and hope for the best. As Gramercyplace says, the costumes are terrific while the figures are not.

This sure is an expensive pile of customizer material.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

You know, years ago, I worked in a small tech startup. One of my team was a blonde woman who would, ahem, "self medicate" during the day. She always thought no one else could tell, and she'd get this bizarre look in her eyes when the, ahem, "medication" started to kick in and she realized she had to hide her high. Hippolyta looks JUST LIKE HER.
          That is HILARIOUS.

This sure is an expensive pile of customizer material.
          Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I purchase very little of FTC's output. These guys haven't learned a thing from years of QC problems and constant complaints. There are unlimited amounts of great new and vintage product to be had for the same price or less out there, with much greater quality. $30 a pop plus shipping is way too pricey to have to "fix" something the minute it comes in, for me anyway. For those who dig these, more power to you.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I was really excited for Hippolyta's dress, but it's so sloppy.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rayray
              • May 21, 2013

My dysfunctional replationship with FTC

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              That is HILARIOUS.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I purchase very little of FTC's output. These guys haven't learned a thing from years of QC problems and constant complaints. There are unlimited amounts of great new and vintage product to be had for the same price or less out there, with much greater quality. $30 a pop plus shipping is way too pricey to have to "fix" something the minute it comes in, for me anyway. For those who dig these, more power to you.

Chris
              When it comes to FTC and its quality control issues, and the fact that I continue ordering from them...I think I may need an intervention. https://youtu.be/yMpSQV1-bsA

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

Actually queen Hippolyta has a very nice outfit and looks good on an articulated body ,my upgrade came out good ,to bad the heads are a bit to small .

Comment

• Slawsb
                  • Oct 7, 2020

Originally posted by tllgn
                  Actually queen Hippolyta has a very nice outfit and looks good on an articulated body ,my upgrade came out good ,to bad the heads are a bit to small .
                  and coffee ice cream color

Comment

• KOMonger
                    Banned
                    • Feb 17, 2015

Last edited by KOMonger; Apr 5, '21, 4:58 AM.

Comment

• Slawsb
                      • Oct 7, 2020

Originally posted by KOMonger
                      "... These guys haven't learned a thing from years of QC problems and constant complaints. ...".
                      People are more likely to complain about a product they are disappointed with, than praise it when they are happy with it. The scales are never balanced in this regard. "Constant" is an exaggeration.

FTC bashers talk about their prices being too high but rarely mention their resealable clamshells and the 'collectable' sturdy backer cards. Zolo's World sells similar sized clamshells for other figures for up to $5.75 apiece, whereas Mego's are considered not-worth-saving once opened.

Toy Polloi on youtube posted his review of Mego's Ultraman. Check it out! Besides confirming (once again) that no modern toy maker is immune to bad manufacturing, there are many comments from people with real experience with new broken figures from many of them.... and FTC wasn't even singled out (as of this writing).
                      These figures should be bashed.Those bodies are beyond awful like a very bad knock off.The legs seem broken and can't even hold a pose.The costumes are nice but way too big for those tiny figures.
                      Perhaps if these don't sell as is they could pop on Duella Dent heads and continue the magic Duella as Queen Hyppolta,Duella as Wonder Woman ,and Diana Prince

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

"... These guys haven't learned a thing from years of QC problems and constant complaints. ...".
                        People are more likely to complain about a product they are disappointed with, than praise it when they are happy with it. The scales are never balanced in this regard. "Constant" is an exaggeration.

FTC bashers talk about their prices being too high but rarely mention their resealable clamshells and the 'collectable' sturdy backer cards. Zolo's World sells similar sized clamshells for other figures for up to $5.75 apiece, whereas Mego's are considered not-worth-saving once opened.

Toy Polloi on youtube posted his review of Mego's Ultraman. Check it out! Besides confirming (once again) that no modern toy maker is immune to bad manufacturing, there are many comments from people with real experience with new broken figures from many of them.... and FTC wasn't even singled out (as of this writing).
                        I have read thread upon thread on this board alone with folks complaining about the quality issues with FTC product. I would consider that pretty constant.

Mego releases duds too. The new Star Trek McCoy is too pale, and the Discovery Michael Burnham has an oversized head, and some of the bodies were spray-painted brown by the factory. But the difference is Mego responds to these complaints, and is addressing the issues. In my mind, that goes a long way.

I do like their resealable clam shells, but I'm not sure that's worth the price difference between them and Mego, personally.

Again, if folks love these figures, warts and all, that's great.More power to you, and go find your joy. But the QC issues and general aesthetic of their line often puts me off.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• rayray
                          • May 21, 2013

Beyond Awful, indeed

Originally posted by Slawsb
                          These figures should be bashed.Those bodies are beyond awful like a very bad knock off.The legs seem broken and can't even hold a pose.The costumes are nice but way too big for those tiny figures.
                          Ok, so in lieu of an intervention to stop me from buying any more FTC, I went ahead and ordered these (Steve, WW, Queen, but not Diana Prince) for the costumes.
                          Everything that has been said before is true.
                          • The WW and Steve faces look better than the poor, drug-addled Queen, but the female figures' heads are a decidedly different color than the bodies. Like, way different.
                          • The bodies cannot stand or hold a pose. Legs and arms are floppy. The only thing you could do with these is have them rest on figure stands, arms down.
                          • The bracelets on WW fly off the arms easily - they are too big.
                          • WW's boots do not come off. The shoes do not fit the standard figures, so these are a loss.
                          • Eyelashes and makeup paints on the heads are applied unevenly.
                          • The costumes are good, and look good on standard 8" bodies. They appear to have been designed and fitted to the standard figure, which is why they look loose and potato-sacky.
                          • The best-looking figure is Steve (except that his hat is too big for the figure.) But once I tried to pose him in a running stance, SNAP off came his calf and foot - the knee joints came apart. So much for that.

All in all, a failed line design-wise. They did a very good job in recreating (and slightly updating, in the case of WW) the costumes of the Mego 12" figures. It's a shame this wasn't done on the newer, more stable bodies. I'm returning Steve, kept the female costumes, and the faulty original female figures will go in a drawer somewhere. I replaced them with standard FTC figures and heads and they look better, but nowhere near Rusty Diamante-levels.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by Gramercyplace
                            So I just received the WW set...I wouldn’t say that the heads are ugly...but they’re not beautiful either, lol. They remind me of the Dawn dollies from the 60’s. They’re tan looking, like most of the figures from the 70’s, and they’re kind of cute. You can’t tell from the photos, but they have rooted eyelashes, similarly to the original Mego 12” celebrity dolls, including WW. They have plenty of eye makeup on, but the lashes don’t permit that to be visible in a photo (they’re definitely not photogenic).
                            What’s weird about them is that the heads are curiously dinky, even when compared to the Teen Titan heads. I took some snap shots, but I’m the dingbat that doesn’t know how to post images here. I’m happy to email the photos to someone if they would like to post for others.
                            As always Brother Mike, thanks for the pictures. Of course your wonderful interpretations on the left put FTC's efforts on the right side wholly to shame!!
                            I was wondering if you were going to get these since you are King of the Wonder Woman Customs!! lol
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by rayray
                              These are from user Gramercyplace, posted on his behalf.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30328[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30330[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30331[/ATTACH]
                              No offense but why on Earth would you fork over 120 plus shipping for that garbage?
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by KOMonger
                                "... FTC bashers talk about their prices being too high but rarely mention their resealable clamshells and the 'collectable' sturdy backer cards. Zolo's World sells similar sized clamshells for other figures for up to $5.75 apiece, whereas Mego's are considered not-worth-saving once opened.
                                Yet surprisingly, you as an FTC "defender"--are we that divided now?--feel somehow that "quality" packaging is a substitute for improved design, sculpting, rooting/styling, production/paint application, and customer service. And of course the $5 that CTVT charges for cards, or the $12.00 for clamshells, is certainly profitable for them.

I don't complain about bodies--we all know vintage, FTC, and Mego Corp bodies have flaws. But really, using "But what about Mego/EMCE/BBP?" as an FTC defense is not much more than a red herring when presented with things like this WW wave.

Interestingly, when FTC hits the mark with figures like Blue Falcon and Swamp Thing. those figures sell well or sell out.
                                Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 4, '21, 7:42 PM.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎